1. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a chick of an unknown breed that I am afraid may be sick. She is a week old, and sleeps standing up while all the others in her group flop over in various sleepy chickie positions. She is less inclined to run away when I approach the brooder, thus easier to catch. She does object some, but not much. She is small, much smaller than the others in the group. I am almost positive all the yellow chicks were the same size when we got them... she is now much smaller. I have seen her eat, drink, and poop. Her poop is small, more like what you would see from a small song bird. Food is always available to the entire group, so it is hard to tell if her crop empties, but it seems like it always has something in it when I check on her. It is pliable, like a little bean bag. Any thoughts or suggestions? It seems like she just wants to hang out under the light hunched over like this all the time.

Thanks in advance... I am hoping she is just a calm, petite breed. With all this extra attention, she has become a favorite![​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably is not going to make it unless you take her out and work with her to get her to eat and drink. PolyVisol baby vitamins 1-2 drops a day, chopped or raw egg, electrolytes in the water (which are good for all), and make her food moist with the water may help her. She still may be a runt, but extra care may save her if you have the time.

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Also, make sure that she isn't cold--if she is under the heat lamp a lot she may need more heat. Provide a cooler spot for the others though.

4. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I can try my best. All chicks are on electrolytes (Quick Chik from McMurray) I am fixing some egg now and will bring her upstairs with me. The place she is standing is 90 degrees according to the thermometer. I am picking up our other lamp from the old house tonight, so I can really keep an eye on her then. Until then, should I increase the temp in the brooder for her? There is plenty of room for the others to get away. Any worries putting her back in with her "sisters" when she feels better? She does not get picked on now, in fact... she does some picking on the others. She was preening herself when I went down before.

5. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Also, feeding these foods other than her starter crumble, will she need to be offered some grit?

6. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I fixed some mashed egg yolk and water for her. She gobbled it up. She seemed to have a bit more pep in her step, even getting a bit frisky when I picked her up this afternoon. I have seen her eat and drink on her own, and still have those little tiny poops. Her crop is still as big if not a little bigger than it was this morning. It really seems like it is not emptying. Is there anything I can do to help work it through? It is not overly firm, in that if I gently squeeze it I can feel all the feed and stuff in there. No obvious hard spots. It just feels like a balloon with sand or rice in it. Any other ideas?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She shouldn't need grit until she eats things other than her chick feed, egg, and yogurt. However when they are older and eating treats or scratch grains, they would need chick grit. You are probably just feeling the crumbles in her crop. New chicks will sometimes eat pine shavings, and that could cause an impacted crop. For that reason many people use paper towels on the floor of the brooder for the first few days until the chicks understand what their food looks like. I'm glad she is better.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is she the only chick eating anything other than chick feed? I have always given grit if my chicks ate anything other than chick feed. Chick feed dissolves,egg while it is considered a soft food,still needs to be digested,try offering her grit,see if it helps.

9. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Could she possibly be a bantam chick that got mixed in. If so that could be why she is smaller. I agree with all the above advice. you can mix a drop or 2 of polyvisol with out iron (baby vitamins) liquid into her egg or wet mash. Good luck.

10. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Thank you all for the advice, I will keep you posted on her progress, whichever way it may go. She hung out in the recliner with me tonight for a while, wrapped in a towel all warm and snug. Her crop still full compared to some of the others. I offered her more egg yolk, which she ate quickly, almost aggressively. She then napped, but had some head shaking, beak smacking episodes along with one or two times sort of big open mouth yawning. I took her back down with the others, where she was quickly welcomed back. I guess they like to snuggle with her too!

It did cross my mind that she may be a bantam or some other small breed since McMurray includes a "free exotic chick" with their orders. I went for a surprise standard rainbow layer package so aside from the obvious 5 EE'ers, Silver Spangled Hamburg Trio, and Silver Laced Wyandotte, the rest of the yellows and chipmunk looking chicks are a mystery.

Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by