Sick chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ash123, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I have a 5 day old chick who is very fat looking. He can't walk very well and is very vocal. He also doesn't keep his eyes open (unless you flash a camera in his face oops.) I have never seem him move around without being somewhat forced. It's a rir crossed with either my wyandotte or buff orpington. This morning it fell on it's back and couldn't get up. It was the last chick hatched and is now the biggest.

2. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Get some SuperBoost into him RIGHT NOW! It could save his life.

3. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Is there a reason for him being so big? It makes me think there is something going on besides just the norm. It's New Years and nowhere is open. Anything else I can try?

4. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    [​IMG]

5. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    [​IMG]

6. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Does he have a pasty butt? Can he poop? Gently wash out his vent if he's stopped up with warm water and a soft cloth. Here are a few home remedies:

Use one at first and see how he progresses. I'd get some SuperBoost tomorrow when everything is open again. Its a mixture of vitamins, minerals and a general antibiotic. SuperBoost can be used for your whole flock as well.

• Add 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 gallon of water for him and the rest of your birds, all will benefit from it. You can also add 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper. This helps prevent some serious ailments.
    • If you have some colloidal silver, you can drop one or two drops down his throat, its a natural antibiotic. You can get this at a bulk food store.
    • Some unflavored children's pedialyte, an electrolyte will also help, add it to his water.
    • An old fashioned remedy for breathing problems in poultry that has been around since 1800s is VetRX and is sold in feed stores; you can also check pet stores.
    • I don't like to use too much in the way of antibiotics but I will use Terramycin when I am clueless as to what is wrong with one of my birds. If it is a virus, it will clear up using it.

Is your chick sneezing, shaking his head or coughing? Does his face look swollen?
    Do you notice if he is "roached-back?" (tail almost tucked under and his back lifted.)
    If your chick doesn't have a respiratory odor like rotting flesh or carrion then it might be something less alarming.
    I don't think it is Coccidiosis (coccidia). You would have seen something gradually progress and there would have been loss of weight and lethargy.
    'Coryza' was one of the first things that came to mind but I don't know for certain if he has it. You'd smell something. Look it up on the Internet and see what you can find.

Keep posting here with updates on his progress.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  7. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    One reason for him being the size he is, he could be stopped up and can't poop properly or it could be genetics or something wrong internally. You won't know until you try some things and see how he responds. Is he eating and drinking? If he is severely dehydrated, that could cause problems and he needs an electrolyte.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I have been sick myself so I haven't noticed who is eating and drinking in the bunch. It doesn't seem like he really moves at all really. His legs look a splayed (I think that is what you call it) so I put a bandaid around them but he isn't walking anyways so I'm not sure it matters. I noticed earlier when holding him He was popping a little but not a bunch so I sorta squeezed his little rear and a lot more poop came out. Right now I have him in a shoe box in the brooder. I noticed one of the other chicks jumped in with him and they are sleeping together. I would normally take it out but it's not jumping around so I think I will leave it in there with him. Oh and yes his face does look swollen. He actually feels very heavy for such a little thing.

9. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    [​IMG]

10. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    It isn't sneezing or breathing weird. It's chirping has always sounded more like a song bird or something. I know that doesn't make sense but it's just not the normal sound you hear from chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by