Sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by okjenyp, Mar 1, 2014.

1. okjenyp

okjenyp Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    I just got 12 baby chicks yesterday and all seemed healthy and active. A few hrs later a little black one was laying around. He didn't play like everyone else. Was not interested in good or drink. He died a couple hrs later. Today I have another red chick and he is laying around like the other did. I noticed him start this last night. I have given him sugar water with a dropper and made him a sock buddy with rice in it and warmed it up so he can snuggle. But he is still very weak and I am afraid he will die soon too. This is my first batch of chicks. The heat lamp makes it 90( they didn't like 95). And the rest are just as playful as can be.

2. BravewingTheHen

BravewingTheHen Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    My Coop
    Hmmm.... Did you have them mailed to you? Occasionally chicks die on the way when being mailed, or die afterwards from being shook up to much. With that second red chick... could you post more symptoms? Is he unable to open his eyes?

3. okjenyp

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    I got the chicks at Atwoods. It's a farm store. I tried to pick very active happy chicks. The symptoms are lethargy, he just lays there, his body temp is cooler than the rest( he is in the warmest part of the box with a sock with rice in it that I warmed up) I gave him sugar water with a syringe and he drank. He opens his eyes some but closed most of the time. His poop is normal looking white with little black. Not runny but not hard. Looks like normal bird poop. He doesn't have pasty butt it looks clean.

4. okjenyp

Feb 27, 2014
    Kansas
    Well I left for a couple hours and the little guy passed away. Poor baby. I did all I could. I hope this is the last casualty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by