1. kaseythomas86

kaseythomas86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2014
    Alabama
    I got 3 Barred Rock chicks yesterday they are supposed to be 4/5 wks old. The chick that is acting funny I think is a little older than the other two because it is bigger it's probably 5wks old. All it does is sleep. It keeps it's feathers puffed up and it's rear is messy looking. I have not seen it poop yet but I'm sure it is. It has been eating but it just doesn't do anything else. Is there anything I Should be doing to help?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get some Corid at the feed store cattle section to treat possible coccidiosis. If they don't have Corid, look for Ampromed (both are amprollium.) Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, (or 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all birds, and they must drink the medicine daily or you will need to dropper feed them. Don't wait to get it. Tonight you can get them a little buttermilk or milk to coat their GI tract. Sulmet or sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox, Albon) can also be used if Corid can't be found. I prefer the liquid form so you can give a drop or two undiluted in really sick birds. It's best to start the treatment, and it won't hurt them, but delaying it could make it too late. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. kaseythomas86

kaseythomas86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2014
    Alabama
    Thanks so much I checked a little bod ago and it seemed a little better but I will treat them anyway to be sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by