Sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sueinalberta, Aug 2, 2014.

1. sueinalberta

sueinalberta Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    I recently bought 10 chicks from a local chicken rancher. One almost immediately showed signs of illness. Lethargic, then wobbly, doesn't seem to be able to stand properly, rocking back on her feet instead of standing upright, some twitching, and she sounds like she is congested. She eats and drinks. All the others seem fine. This is my first stab at having laying hens so am completely in the dark here! Any help is appreciated!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing 7 Years

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Firstly - welcome! [​IMG] Secondly, have you contacted the person who sold you the birds?? It would be good to know if any others are sick, also ask him if they are vaccinated against Mareks disease. How old are they??You need to isolate the sick chick away from her sisters. Watch her for eating/drinking/pooping.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has it been so recent that you could take them back, since one was sick when you brought it home? They could be carriers If you don't take it back, I would start an antibiotic on the sick chick only--oxytetracycline in the water, and keep it separated as far away as possible. Keep it warm with a heat lamp if necessary, with a thermometer on the floor at 80 degrees. If another becomes sick, put it in with the sick one and treat it. It could be something like infectious bronchitis or MG, but it could be something worse. Here is a link to red about these 2 plus coryza and ILT, and the other common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. sueinalberta

sueinalberta Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    The chicks have all been on a mild antibiotic since I brought them home - something called Chick Booster. The others all seem fine. It's been two weeks now. The sick one is on her own and isn't looking any better, but no worse. I wonder how long to give her before I give up? If any of the others get sick, I will have a talk with the gal I bought them from. She is sure the sick one is just run down and weak. I sure hope it isn't anything more serious, because I did have them all together and there was ample time for the infection to spread. Thanks for all your help!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If this is the product you are using, it is not an antibiotic: http://www.birdsafestore.com/Produc...=google_base&gclid=CPWkrtHP978CFa5AMgod7REAvg
    It sounds like you are in Canada, and if you can get oxytetracycline without a prescription, I would give her treatment for a week or more. If she has a respiratory disease, though she may be a carrier.

[​IMG]

Dosage is 2.5 tablespoonsful per gallon of water for the maximum 800 mg dosage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: