sick chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by senatorleghorn, Nov 4, 2014.

1. senatorleghorn

senatorleghorn New Egg

Apr 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    i have an 8 month old white leghorn (1 of 11) that has stopped eating /drinking looked droopy and listless
    I have isolated her and supplied her with food (layer crumbles meal worms cooked corn )
    wont touch it went to tractor supply and got some vetrx been using dropper to force liquid vetrx
    been 2 days no change bird does not poop either her comb is waxy compared to the bright red of the others
    some head ( shaking not much() weather changed to cold day before this started the isolation seems
    to have made her comfortable,.since I have her in a warm heated dry area. no apparent swelling in back
    should I try some Epsom salt for laxative?? or what else ?? how do I dose her ??

any help would be appreciated thanks in advance senator leghorn real name ... larry

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your baby. She may be egg bound. Have you checked her for a stuck egg? Read this article on egg binding that will help you to determine and treat her as well...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

Could she have a crop impaction? This will cause them to not poop or eat. See this article as well for help if this is the case...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-crop-story

But you need to definitely post this in our emergency section for more help with her...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get her back to good health soon.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry about your chicken! Definitely check out the links that Two Crows gave you. Good luck!

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Best of luck
    Welcome to BYC

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You have good advice already from TwoCrows..do post the issue on emergencies.

Welcome to BYC, so glad you joined us.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen. [​IMG]I hope she recovers!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen, hope she recovers.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry for your hen![​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the folks on the emergencies thread will be able to help you out with a diagnosis and treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by