1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by edwarra, Dec 23, 2014.

1. edwarra

edwarra Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    Good afternoon all.,
    I have a chick that did not come out of the coop this morning. When I checked her she had poop all over her butt some of it was hard. I washed in warm water as best as I could, put her under the blow dryer and took her back outside. She kept closing me eye but that eye is not crusty,red or weeping. She is also,limping but I did not see anything like bumble foot. I did get her to eat some yogurt and mealworms, gave her sme baby aspirin and am giving her saves chick water. Went to check a,couple of minutes ago and the other hen was in the coop,with her. Anything else I need to do? I lst one hen in sept to what I think was merecks I don't know if I can do that again. Help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is Mareks, making sure that she is getting to her food and water and observing her symptoms is about all you can do. Did your other hen that died have any paralysis of a leg, wing, or her neck? The probiotics and vitamins may help (especially vitamin B1 thiamine, B2 riboflavin, and vitamin E.) I would consider bring her inside to keep a closer eye on her, unless the other hen would miss her.

3. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    She seems to be eating. The other ones leg would draw up,and she couldn't use it she had also quit eating even though I brought it right to her. The one now is still alert and moving around.

4. edwarra

May 9, 2014
    She has started moving around, she's out of the coop and ate some oatmeal today. I did bring her in and warm her up until it stopped raining here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by