Sick chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sara bb, Dec 24, 2014.

1. sara bb

sara bb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Hi I was hoping someone out there could help me please. I have a beautiful shaver/banti cross who developed what I diagnosed as a 'sticky vent' about 8 months ago. I faithfully followed the advice that BYC gave & she recovered. About 4 weeks ago it returned, well I think that it was the same disorder, I isolated her, gave her the Epsom salt baths, but she refused to eat the yoghurt with wheat germ & the apple cider vinegar as she did previously. After 5 days I took her to the vet (together with the name of the anti-biotic that BYC advised could help) unfortunately this anti-biotic isn't available in New Zealand but she was given another course which lasted about 5 days. She improved for maybe 3 days & since then she's been on the decline. She won't eat anything except live bugs/grubs/wetas etc. I have been basically force feeding her 3/5 times a day with yoghurt, a probiotic and/or tinned baby food. She's very thin & has had continuous diahorrea during all this time. I'm just so upset please could someone have an idea what I can do to help her? It's my Christmas wish. She's 2 years old.

2. KittyKat3756

KittyKat3756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Norfolk, UK
    Are you feeding her some "chicken porridge" as well? By "chicken porridge" I mean chicken mash or pellets mixed with water to a consistency where you can hand feed her. If you aren't, then there's a reasonable chance that she's not getting everything that she needs out of her food, although baby food is a relatively good alternative.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Some bad information was received by you and it has likely encouraged enteritis due to a possible intestinal worm or Coccidiosis infection which are quite common among chickens. Stop the feeding of bugs, ACV, and yogurt. I am not sure what brands are available to you in New Zealand, but an Albendazole liquid such as Valbazen is dosed .08 cc for each pound of the bird's weight. Dosed once, and again 10 days later, it is given orally with a syringe (no needle) or saturated on a piece of bread and fed to the bird.

For Coccidiosis treatment, a 9.6% Amprolium liquid is dosed 10-15 ml per gallon of water. A 20% Amprolium powder is dosed 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water. This is done, making a fresh solution each day for 5-7 days. After the last day of Amprolium, use a poultry vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic powder in waterer for 3 days, and continue that vitamin supplementation 2-3 days a week each week thereafter.

Feed a 16% protein layer ration moistened or dry depending on the bird's tendency to eat. The bird needs to be eating/drinking on her own. I hope your hen recovers to full health.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. sara bb

sara bb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Thank you for your advice, I managed to get the Valbazen but unfortunately it was too late. We lost her Christmas night. I can't help feeling I could've done more if I had only known. It's a very hard lesson for a novice chook owner. I'm now a little worried about my 2 hens I still have. I've never wormed them. They appear to be in excellent health & are both laying like demons. I did scrub out the coop with a disinfectant. Is there anything I should do to safeguard their health?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you go ahead and dose your two hens with valbazen, 1/2ml given orally to each hen, repeat dosing again in 10 days as Michael Apple mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by