Sick chicken, advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ravismomma, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    Looking for advice:
    I have a 6 month old buff, she is showing signs of extreme respiratory illness and I'm looking for guidance.
    We recently had one hen necropsied. Showed signs of CRD. she came back positive for MS/MG, and a fungal infection. I spoke to the pathologist and she said the fungal is uncommon in birds older than 2 weeks. It's likely from an infection she had earlier in life.
    Moving on. I have decided not to cull, and to keep flock closed.
    Yesterday my BO showed signs of distress. Wouldn't get off of roost.
    When I came home from work, she was still there and looked worse.
    I isolated her. Gave fluids with nutra drench. She's drinking but I have to spoon feed the water.....She has seemed to perk up a little. Especially since last night. I expected her to pass in the night. This am she seems a little better.
    She is wheezing a little. But only when I approach, as if she's whining at me.
    I've misted with vet Rx.
    This am I was able to get her to eat some food mashed up in water.

A little background... They were recently treated with tylan, and ponazural. The tylan was two weeks ago, the ponazural ended Saturday. The tylan started after the first bird(now deceased) started to show symptoms. The ponazural was a precaution because deceased bird had blood in stool so was assumed to have cocci, due to weak immune from the respiratory illness....

I realize this is part of dealing with CRD, my concern is... As I'm researching I'm reading about fungal infections presenting as CRD.

I use sand in coop and it is dry. We do however have them in a free range garden area. We have wood chips down.
    Could this be contributing to the fungal infection? My husband is convinced.
    I'm dismayed .....

Any ideas would be appreciated. I know this is info overload but figured more info is better. Would appreciate any thoughts as well as advice on how to treat.
    This is my favorite girl and I really want her to pull through.

2. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Get some mannapro medicated chicken feed and give it to them

3. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016

Can you elaborate on that? It's medicated with amprolium, which treats cocci.
    I just finished a course of ponazural. How would medicated chicken feed help?
    That's in advance for responding, I'm a newer chicken owner and trying to learn as much as I can....

4. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    well my chickens had the same thing aand I gave them this and it worked trust me give them this

5. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

We recently lost several chickens from our flock to Aspergillus fungus in fresh wood chips we put in our run. Jury is still out on others we have as well. What kind of wood chips do you have? Dried, bagged pine shavings or actual chips from a tree guy?

Here's the link to our thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1129854/dying-chickens

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  6. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016

We ordered from a landscaping supply company. They were "animal safe". Unprocessed bark.
    Shoot, I'm starting to think this could be a factor. What are you doing if anything to treat?
    As I mentioned, it's not in the run, however they do free range 90% of the day, on the chips.

7. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Much info in the thread link. We've removed the chips and cleaned everything. All the birds that died have been necropsied. We've been told that once the fungus is in the air sac or lungs that there is nothing that can be done. We also had to euthanize one that had neurological issues from the fungus in her brain. Have one more that show signs of the same but we are in wait and see mode with her.

Our chips were freshly chopped trees and we had very warm and wet conditions. The perfect storm for fungus. There is a link to a video I did of the chip pile that shows the fungus growth. Would be worth a look to see if there is fungus present in your chips that could be contributing.

8. ravismomma

Sep 13, 2016

I just read thru all of the thread, thanks for sharing... I'm not sure if my situation is the same...but definitely something to think about. As earlier mentioned, my husband is convinced and thinks we should remove and replace with gravel.
    In the meantime, I'm trying to keep my ginger girl comfortable and hoping she heals. I'm hoping it's an issue from the mycoplasma and not fungus.
    So sorry to hear about your losses. Thanks again for responding to my post.
    So much to learn on this adventure!

9. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Hoping for the best for you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by