Sick chicken and I'm not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calihaney1320, Sep 21, 2016.

1. calihaney1320

calihaney1320 New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    I'm new to owning chickens and need some advice. My sister in law bought my daughter two polish frizzles for her birthday and within the first month we lost one of them. She was acting sleepy and not herself the day before she passed. Now my other polish frizzle is acting the same way and we started them on corid and non medicated food. He has runny poop with mucus and I have seen blood in it before. He is laying down a lot with his head tuck into his body, feather are ruffled and seems like one of his wings he can't really move. He was trying to get on his roosting stick and seems off balance. He is drinking water on his own although I have not seen him eat he has been by the food. This morning I noticed his head kind of ticking back and forth but hasn't since. I'm not sure what to do. I thought it was the cocci since my new puppy had to be treated for it a month or two ago. My other hen is doing fine she is acting normal and eating and drinking fine. Although she is being treated as well with the corid. Any advice would help thank yall!

2. shanopaint

shanopaint Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    search the site for "blood in stool" or "Blood in poop". also search the site for "off balance chicken with runny poop". hopefully you can maybe figure out what disease it might have and some steps to take. sorry i cant offer more. I'm pretty inexperienced.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

How old is he?
    How long have you treated with the Corid and a what dosage?

Bloody poop or poop with mucous, ruffled appearance, lethargy (laying down), not eating and loss of balance can be an indication of Cocci.

Treatment is with Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After you finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Keep us posted on his progress.

4. calihaney1320

calihaney1320 New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    He should be between 15-20 weeks old. I was told to put 5ML of the liquid corid in 1 gallon and my two birds have been on that for 5 days tomorrow. He has been eating and drinking on his own but was still not acting any better after 3 days. So yesterday every so often I would go and give him 2-3 syringe fulls of water and today he seemed to be looked better and walking around more. As for poultry vitamins, I have some rooster booster, would that be okay to use in their food? Thanks for the reply!

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Corid dosage is 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon. Check your dosage. If my calculations are correct that should be 9.86 ml per gallon, not 5ml per gallon. This could possibly be why improvement is slow or he could have some other illness. Make sure this is the only water he drinks.

Give the Rooster Booster after you finish the Corid treatment.

Keep us posted.

6. calihaney1320

calihaney1320 New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    Hm okay I will add the extra teaspoon tomorrow. Reading on it a little should I do a second treatment on them? I was told to give them a break through the weekend and start a second treatment Monday. Granted she is new to this as well, I would rather take some advice from people who know more about it.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can treat for 5-7days, if you are on day 5 and you are still seeing the bloody poop or he is still not better, then go for the 7days and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by