sick chicken any ideas?

Chad the Chicken Man

Songster
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Belleville, WI
Ok I left for work today around 630 this morning and everything was fine. maybe in over reacting but i dont know. i came home from work today and my RIR was just laying on the ground like she was taking a rest. didnt think much of it so i went in the coop and got some scratch and threw it on the ground and all the chicken of course came over and started feeding. i looked over and the RIR was still laying there so i went to pick her up and she just kind of wattled away slowly and i noticed her tail pointed straight at the ground. I put her in the coop and feed her scratch from my hand which she ate right up so i put her on the ground in the coop and she went for a drink. so those are both good signs. but im just a little scared because she will just lay down and not move and when she does her tail is strait to the ground. any ideas whats going on? am i just over reacting here?

asher

Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire
14 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Mountains of NC
How old is she? Notice any difference in feces? Have you checked her for mites/lice? Has she/the flock been wormed recently?

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
Check her crop, too. Does it feel impacted? I've lost hens to impacted crops. They did just what yours is doing to start. I tried evereything but split the crop open, which is what I hear works the best, but scares the bejeebers out of me. Hope she feels better soon.
Could she be eggbound?

Last edited:

Chad the Chicken Man

Songster
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Belleville, WI
well this morning she could barley move so i took her out of the coop and into a dog crate in mu mud room. I dont know what here poop looks like yet but will when i get done with work. Ive tried to check her for mite. I dont know if im doing it right i checked by her vent under her wing and around her neck. i would peel back her feathers and watch for something moving. she was clean but like i said im not sure if i was checking her right. and her crop was still full this morning. are they ussually still full in the morning? It didnt feel like she was egg bound but i put her in warm water anyways for like 5-10 mins. then blow dried her dry. so i dont know i hope she gets ok ill find out more once i get home.

Top Bottom