Sick chicken. Breathing hard, Lethargic, dark green poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by louiseschwieker, Mar 29, 2017.

1. louiseschwieker

louiseschwieker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    I have a 6 month old buff orpington who has been breathing hard, walking slowly, having dark green poop, and not eating much. We put her in a big cat cage on the porch away from the rest of the chickens but she's still acting Lethargic. We gave her an oatmeal/dry milk recipe my grandma found online and we gave that too her. She's been eating it a little bit but her crop still feels empty. She's been drinking some from what I've seen. I checked if she was egg bound and there wasn't an egg. She's been laying for a while but hasn't been the past few days. Her "fluffy part of the butt" seems to be swollen but there are no visible injuries and I haven't seen any mites. I have also heard about the bird flu outbreak but she doesn't have the symptoms for that. I'm in Opelika Alabama if that helps. I'm completely lost to what's going on with her. Any help would expect really appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet?
    Can you post some photos?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    What does her poop look like?
    Were the eggs she laid in the past normal?

If her abdomen feels swollen then she may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Salpingitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Some symptoms of these conditions include - not eating, lethargy, weight loss, lameness/difficulty walking and trouble breathing.

Offer her some poultry vitamins keep her hydrated. When she is properly hydrated offer her some wet poultry feed with some chopped egg or tuna mixed in.

Keep us posted.

3. louiseschwieker

Jul 6, 2016
    She died this morning. She flipped over on her back and flopped for about 30 secs. Poop was dark green and very grassy. We usually feed her 16% laying pellets and she did lay normal eggs. We did an autopsy and everything was normal except an egg yolk I'm her body

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

If you found egg yolk in her abdominal cavity, then she most likely had Egg Yolk Peritonitis (internal laying).
    Chickens are very good at hiding illness until it's too late. There really is no course of treatment for EYP except to give supportive care. In some instances if caught very early, antibiotics may help give some relief for a short period of time.

Here's a post (WARNING_GRAPHIC) from another BYC member - they opened up their hen, this was suspected EYP
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1154532/egg-yolk-peritonitis#post_18103856

5. louiseschwieker

Jul 6, 2016
    Thank you for the info [​IMG]

6. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I'm sorry about your hen. [​IMG]
    Dark green poop is a sign of not getting the proper nutrients- makes sense if she wasn't eating.

7. louiseschwieker

Jul 6, 2016

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by