Sick Chicken....Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stuck in kansas, Sep 22, 2011.

1. stuck in kansas

stuck in kansas New Egg

Jul 23, 2011
    I have a 8wk old German Spitzhauben, I have noticed this last wk, that it wasn't acting right..when I let everyone out of the pen, it would stay inside. It has separated itself from the rest of the flock. It was drinking and eating ok.. and running around. But yesterday it seemed to be breathing hard, when it breaths, its sides next to its beak expand and under its beak. stands in one spot all the time and head low. I took it inside, under a warm light, gave it a little sugar water.. then this morning fixed its waterer with medicated water stuff you get when they are chicks a few days old. it did eat a little tiny bit and drank a little. She or He just seems to be getting weaker then sometimes ok, at one point seemed to be having trouble standing even..it wont sit down? stool seems normal, no fluffy puffed up feathers, eyes seems ok. I held her for a long time last night she just stayed close to me. she seemed very cold when I brought her inside. I have a light I keep on in my chicken shed all the time because the weather is getting cooler at night and they are so young.. haven't been fully feathered out for long. I haven't heard her cough or sneeze. I am very careful to keep my feeders and waterer clean. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am new at this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. poofball

poofball Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Kentucky
    I have used vetRX and sulfa antibotics on birds with this kind of problem the sulfa drugs work really well.Good Luck

3. stuck in kansas

stuck in kansas New Egg

Jul 23, 2011
    Do you think my chickens are to young to be put on scratch and grower/layer crumbles? feed store said it was fine. I went through one big bag of medicated chick starter already.. I have been worrying maybe this could be problem. but all my other chickens are fine. Thank you for your help.

4. poofball

poofball Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Kentucky
    I usually feed my chicks chick starter for atleast 4 months

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    How are the stools ?

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Maybe you'd better get some Sav A Chick or some other extra supplementation for her. Give her some chick starter too if she prefers. I know some people here would do the chick starter longer but I can't say I do. One thing the starter has is antibiotics and that might be a good thing right now. It's possible she's getting something respiratory. They really do like lots of attention. I'd take her in the house for a couple days for observation. Put her in a little carrier with an old towel inside and leave plenty of food and water. You could try little bits of grapes and tomatos, just a few teeny pieces and see if she'll eat that. I'd leave a little night light for her so she can eat in the middle of the night if she wants to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by