Sick Chicken - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tesncs, Mar 5, 2014.

1. tesncs

tesncs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    We are somewhat new chicken owners. We are on our first flock and are "hooked"! We have 3 New Hampshire Reds and 3 Hybrid Sex-linked. Sorry, I don't know much about the hybrids. They are all 2 years old now. One of the hybrids is obviously sick and distressed. She has been looking "poorly" all winter. I first noticed the feathers on her backend looking sort of thin. The feathers were not coming out like they might if she were molting, but the feathers themselves were thin and she seemed sort of lethargic. The last few days she has adopted this sort of squatting posture and seems much worse. I've attached a picture of her and am hoping someone can help. None of the other chickens seem to be affected by this ailment.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Hybrid chickens who are bred to be super egg layers will often be plagued with reproductive issues such as prolapsed vent, egg binding, egg yolk peritonitis, and internal laying. I would glove up and lubricate a finger and insert it into the vent and search for an egg, while feeling of her lower abdomen. If there is an egg, give her a calcium tablet or Tums crushed and put into some food, place her in a warm bath up to the bottom of her wings. If no egg is found, then do some reading on EYP. Here is some reading:
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I agree with Eggcessive, also treat for worms with Safeguard and treat for lice and mites.

4. tesncs

Jan 12, 2014
    Thanks for your help. I did like you said, gloved up and checked for an egg. Didn't feel anything. The chickens have access to plenty of outdoor space and they have several bare dirt areas where they take dust baths. The other chickens seem fine, no signs of sickness. So, instinct tells me that it is something physical with just this one chicken. Maybe an infection of some sort. We brought her in from the cold last night and have her in a big box with wood shavings. I put some water in there, but don't see any sign she has drunk any. I'm going to the mill to get some Safeguard de-wormer, like you said. I have a call in to a guy I know that has a lot of experience with chickens. Most of the vets around here only treat cats and dogs and/or large animals, so doubt they would be able to help. Sigh.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Has she been checked for possible crop issues,such as an impact or sour crop?

6. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    I have had some experience with eggboundness, and this bird might just be. Hybrids, of course, are bred to lay as many eggs as possible in a year. I think this would put more stess on their insides, so she could very well be eggbound. You said she was squatting, so she might be trying to push out an egg. Sometimes you may not feel an egg in her abdomen , even if there is one. I would try bathing her in warm water with epsom salts and massaging her abdomen while she soaks. After her bath separate her in a warm and quiet place away from other chickens. Hopefully an egg will turn up!!!

7. tesncs

Jan 12, 2014
    Just thought I would update all of you who replied to my plea for help. I'm sad to say that the chicken died. I did put her in a large plastic tub with wood shavings and brought her inside for the night. I set her in a tub of warm water and gloved up and felt for an egg, but didn't feel anything. While doing this I realized that she had hardly any meat on her breast. You could feel the breast bone beneath the feathers. So, I think this is a condition that has been developing over a period of time and that she has gradually been losing weight. Like I said, she had been looking somewhat distressed all winter. I probably should have brought her in and checked her several weeks ago. At any rate, I have learned from this experience and at least feel good that she was inside in a nice warm, clean box during her last day.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss

9. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    I'm so sorry. God bless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by