Sick chicken, can't figure out what's wrong with her!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eturnquist, Apr 1, 2015.

1. eturnquist

eturnquist Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2015
    Austin, TX
    My 11 month old silver laced wyandotte has been sick for 1 week (that we know of). She's in a cage in the garage (the rest of the flock was picking on her).

Here are her symptoms:
    1. Lethargic
    2. Not eating/drinking
    3. Weight loss (very skinny)
    4. Sitting a lot
    5. Not active, won't run, just walks casually
    6. Not laying eggs, although I'm fairly certain she never has because I've never seen her in the roosting bin

Here's what we know:
    1. Checked for mites (none)
    2. Checked for sneezing, mucus in eyes, puffiness (no sign of bronchial infection or sickness)
    3. Felt around her bottom for egg bound, inserted finger into egg vent, felt around for eggs (gross I know, but everything seemed fine)
    4. Checked crop (there's some grain/sandy type stuff in the bottom but it is small and not bloated or hard, sort of like a deflated balloon filled with a little sand)
    5. Checked poop (no blood, no worms, semi-solid dark green/brown/white, sometimes runnier after we force a lot of liquid and medicine down her)

Here's what we've done:
    1. Force fed syringes of pedialyte & baby chick feed for hydration & nutrition
    2. Force fed syringes of Duramycin-10 (antibiotic) for 4 days now
    3. Force fed syringes of wazine wormer 2 days
    4. Force fed apple cider vinegar 1 day (in case there's a fungal infection)
    5. Offered her yogurt, blueberries, oatmeal, regular chicken food, scrambled eggs (she didn't want any of it!)

It seems like I'm at a dead end. She's not getting better but she's also not getting much worse (aside from obviously deteriorating from not eating/drinking). Any suggestions? I may try giving her Tylan soluble. Has anyone experienced this? I'm so sad and hate to see her suffer.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The pedialyte and chick feed was a good idea. For vitamins, polyvisol WITHOUT iron is good. Just a drop.

Age of bird and what was her diet prior?

Personally, I'd lay off the antibiotics since you don't know what's wrong with her. Most of the things that afflict chickens are viral, fungal, protozoal, nutritional or environmental and the ones that are bacterial often don't have a cure.

Wormers and antibiotics are hard on them too.

It depends on how badly you want to save her. If she's not eating she probably isn't producing a fecal sample. That would be helpful to check for worm load and type.

Sending her to the state lab for euthanasia and necropsy may be a good course of action if there's no improvement.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    She could have coccidiosis. This will cause birds to sit in the corner all fluffed up, cold, not eating or drinking. They act as if they are giving up on life. If you are seeing poop, many times but not always, is there blood in the poop. They lose a ton of weight fast. If you have any Corid or anything with Amprolium in it, get it into her fast. Cocci kills fast if you don't act quick. You can get this med at your local feed store or on line.

I am so sorry about your baby. [​IMG]

4. eturnquist

eturnquist Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions and kind words! I got home from work yesterday and she seemed to be doing better. She had more energy and ate both chick feed and some treats. Not sure which of the remedies has been working but I'll take it. I picked up Selmet (it's all they had) in case she has Coccidiosis and gave her a bit of that last night. I'm keeping her in the garage until Sunday and keeping up with all the medicines and eletrolytes. Hopefully she makes a full recovery by then. [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's good. Try mixing some milk with the chick starter to put some weight on her.
    Milk in all forms, skim, butter, whole, etc. was long used for chicks and hens before the manufacture of chicken feed. Good animal protein and vitamins.

6. eturnquist

eturnquist Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Just wanted to say thank you for the support and tips. This chicken ended up recovering! [​IMG]

I kept her in a big cage in the garage and gave her baby chicken food, yogurt, milk and electrolytes. I treated her for worms and coccidiosis. I also gave her duramycin (antibiotic) and some veterinary grade antibiotics from a friend. I can't say for sure which of the remedies made her better. About a week later she perked back up and had energy so we returned her to the flock and she has been doing fine ever since.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by