Sick Chicken, coccidiosis? Should I treat the entire flock even if other birds look healthy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mjt071478, Oct 29, 2013.

1. mjt071478

mjt071478 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    This is a 6mo Black Sex Link, not yet laying. She is one of 8 birds in my flock. Symptoms include:

• Totally lethargic
    • Standing up all day in one spot like a statue, sleeping, eyes closed
    • Fluffed up feathers especially around neck / chest with head tucked in
    • Will let anyone walk right up to her and touch her and pick her up, very unusual
    • Tried to put her beak into a water bowl to get her to drink, uncertain if she is eating or drinking
    • Yellow, runny poo
    • I don't really know exactly what I am feeling for, but best I can tell her crop does not feel impacted and neither does it seem she has an impacted egg (if it is even possible I would be able to feel it).
    • As of right now, all of the other birds appear to be healthy and behaving normally. No indication of any insects or of any worms in poo.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. mjt071478

Oct 3, 2013
    Update: the chicken did not bother perching tonight and instead is laying down on the coop floor. She is breathing, but clearly it does not look good. My wife is planning to get the meds in the morning, but I am skeptical if the chicken will make it until then... which brings me to my next question.

Should we treat the entire flock for coccidiosis even though the other chickens all seem healthy right now?

Thanks!

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,treat ALL chickens,treating them with Corid(amprolium)will not harm them,but not treating if they have cocci,will cause deaths. Until you are able to get corid,you can give dairy products,in particular buttermilk,dairy will coat the intestines and hopefully buy your girl sometime. Bring her inside home,keep her warm. Try to get her to eat/drink,especially drinking, chickens become dehydrated very fast.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  5. mjt071478

Oct 3, 2013
    Thank you. Should we definitely just assume cocci and treat for that? Or possibly consider anything else? Some other threads on here with similar symptoms seem to indicate botulism as a possible culprit. We do not have any wet / moldy food, but the dog has been catching some mice recently and I suppose it is possible the chicken pecked at a dead mouse. Any other thoughts or just stick with the cocci treatment?

6. mjt071478

Oct 3, 2013
    Also, should we not eat eggs while the birds are being treated for cocci?

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    She could have any number of issues,could be worms(you may or may not see them in poop)egg bound,have you done a cloacal exam to check for being egg bound? Any issues with her crop,crop should be full during day(if eating)empty in the morning. For sour crop,crop will feel squishy and may have a foul smell. Have you added any new birds to flock? Symptoms do match Cocci,so i would start there.

8. mjt071478

Oct 3, 2013
    Latest update: Just went to go check on her and she is getting worse in a hurry. She is now unable to even stand or really even hold her head up. We tried to feed her some yogurt but she will not eat. I will be shocked if she survives through the night (or really the next couple of hours).

We did introduce three new birds to our flock, but that was a month ago and have not seen any problems before this week. The bird that is sick is not one of the newly introduced birds, but one that we have had since very young.

As I mentioned in the original post. I do not feel super confident in evaluating the drop or possibly being egg bound. But, the best I could tell I did not notice a hard crop or an egg impaction. Nor is this chicken laying yet.

I highly doubt we will be able to save this bird, but I suppose we will go ahead and treat the other 7 birds for cocci just to be safe.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Introducing new birds can also introduce a new strain of coccidia into your soil and flock which your original birds are not immune to. I hope your pullet makes it. The Corid is a cattle medicine--same med to treat chickens.

10. mjt071478

Oct 3, 2013
    As suspected. She died. Now to treat the rest of the flock for cocci just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by