sick chicken, deep red comb, labor breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jpinto, Oct 22, 2014.

1. jpinto

jpinto New Egg

May 2, 2012
    one of our 13 chickens (she is two and a half) has had a deep red/purple comb for two weeks now. she labors to breath - raspy. she eats, drinks, free ranges still. but walks slowly and rests alot. we did antibiotic water for 6 days. we didn't see improvement or more decline in health. i checked for mites. dont see any. now making apple cidar vinegar water for flock. rest all seem healthy and no sign of getting sick too. she also has shiny silver color on ears. I think respiratory infection or heart condition....but not sure. any ideas and help is appreciated. we feel bad shes fells bad want to help her feel better, but we don't do vet for a chicken (please don't judge on that part) thanks much!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could be right about her having a heart condition, but she may not be getting enough oxygen. Respiratory illnesses are all very similar with symptoms, but viruses and fungal diseases won't respond to antibiotics--they just have to run their course. Labored breathing could be from a fungal respiratory disease called aspergillosis, which come from mold around the environment. It can be common if there are wet conditions either from rain, or wet bedding such as straw or hay which tends to hold moisture. Pine shavings tends to be drier. To help in preventing respiratory illnesses, make sure there is a lot of overhead ventilation in your coop. Too warm of temperatures promote open mouth panting, and more chance of respiratory infections. and keep things dry to prevent moldy conditions. You might consider worming her if you haven't done that lately. Here is a good link to read about the common respiratory diseases and another on aspergillosis:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/aspergillosis

3. jpinto

jpinto New Egg

May 2, 2012
    thank you for reply. will read up on respiratory stuff and how to deworm. we did get rain few weeks ago and bedding was more damp than usual before I got to changing it...that may have started it. should i be concerned about spreading to other chickens? we could seperate her, but she loves being with her sisters and ranging with them. I figure keeping her moving and living with them is better.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Other chickens could get the mold on their own, but she won't spread it to them, if she has aspergillosis. If she has something contagious, it would already been to late. Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are excellent, but have to be given to each chicken orally--1/2 ml by mouth and repeat in 10 days. Valbazen is preferable, and though more expensive, it goes much farther.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by