Sick chicken, digestive problems? $800 vet bill, what can I do at home

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Courtney Jane, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Courtney Jane

Courtney Jane Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    Perth Western Australia
    Hey guys,

So I took my chicken Disco to the vet yesterday. She is very lethargic, not eating, only drinking small amounts when I prompt her, diarrhoea, making gargling noises somewhere inside, vent moving as if trying to poo or lay an egg and just over all looking awful. At first I thought she was egg bound but the vet said it could be a digestive issue although he wasn’t sure where exactly in the tract or if that’s even what it was. He also mentioned her crop was very full even though she’d hardly eaten that day.

She had a heap of tests, injections and all that. And I got some tablets to give her as well. He said if she’s not better by lunch time today (now) I should take her back for x rays to look for tumours, foreign objects in the crop ect. Only thing is the appointment cost me $360 yesterday and an x Ray is going to be another $400. I love her but nearly $800 on 1 chicken is ridiculous and I’m not exactly made of money. She’s only a year old as well.

This morning her crop is the size of a golf ball and mushy. Not liquid mushy, just squishy like putty. I can’t notice any foul smell from her beak and the vet did a crop test yesterday and said the balance of bacteria or what ever was ok. She hasn’t eaten anything today though except her tablets with a tea spoon of yogurt. I gave her some olive oil and a lot of crop massages as well as giving her water with apple cider vinegar but still no progress. I guess what I’m asking is has anyone experienced anything like this and have any advice? I don’t want to take her back to the vet but she’s really not looking good. Standing in one spot not moving eyes closed. Also I don’t see how the tablets are going to help if she’s not digesting properly?

Looking for advice but also just to vent as no one understands. I had someone say to me ‘it’s just a chicken, who cares, put it down’

Attached Files:

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    May be too late, but sounds like impacted crop. How long has the crop been funky?

Exactly what were the injections and tablets?

Sorry, I've not dealt with crop issues, couple of the other people tagged have.
    Here's some good info on crop problems:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Eggcessive, Wyorp Rock and ValerieJ like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since her crop is mushy, it sounds like she either is beginning to develop sour crop, or she maybe just has a slow functioning crop due to some other problem in her body. That could possibly be a reproductive disorder such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer. Hens can suffer from a variety of problems and the crop function may be affected.

How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs? Is she overweight or has she lost weight recently? What do her droppings look like? Pictures are welcome here.

coach723, Wyorp Rock and ValerieJ like this.
  5. Courtney Jane

Courtney Jane Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    Perth Western Australia
    She’s still alive, no better no worse except that her poos are getting stranger and there’s much less of them. Very watery with bright green chunks. Crop is squishier but stilll just as full. She hasn’t eaten all day until now, I gave her some yogurt and some mashed up fried egg with more apple cider vinegar. Here’s a list of the drugs and needles she’s had. I’m worried that if I keep giving her tablets, they won’t digest and if her crop does finally empty all the pills will go through at once?

Attached Files:

6. Courtney Jane

Courtney Jane Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    Perth Western Australia

She has just gone 1 and yes she does. I don’t think she’s been laying for the last week and a half I have 3 hens so hard to know who’s laying the eggs but I have hardly had any and I haven’t seen her in the nesting box for a while since she went broody 2 weeks ago and I had to break her. This is also why I thought she was egg bound but she layed an egg last night, it was pretty Normal, just a bit of a longer skinnier shape but inside was normal.

She has always been the skinniest by FAR! She’s not very big at all, I think if I saw her without feathers I’d freak out.

Eggcessive and ValerieJ like this.
  7. Courtney Jane

Courtney Jane Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    Perth Western Australia

Thank you I will read those now!
    I have just included a photo of the injections and such for you :) I’m not even sure what they mean, I’ll have to google.
    I’m not exactly sure when this started, I only really noticed yesterday morning. I did feel her crop first thing in the morning maybe 5 days ago and thought hmm that doesn’t quite feel completely empty. But since I seem to be a bit of a drama queen and a helicopter mum I didn’t think too much of it.

ValerieJ and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Did the vet mention anything about de-worming?

ValerieJ and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. Courtney Jane

Courtney Jane Chirping

Nov 13, 2018
    Perth Western Australia
    He asked when I last worked my chickens and I said 6 months ago. He tested the poo for signs of intestinal parasites and the results came back all clear

ValerieJ and casportpony like this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Looks like injections of antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and intestinal stimulant were given. Additionally, a crop wash and cytology were done and no antifungal was prescribed, so the problem in the crop is not yeast yet.

I made the invoice larger:
    Screenshot_2019-10-19-06-20-28.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: