sick chicken don't understand what is going on

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmerette6, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Farmerette6

Farmerette6 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi! I am new to the forum and unfortunately one of my girls is sick. She was born in June and I got an assortment so I can't tell you what breed she is if that matters....

She started with one yucky eye. Now they both are matted shut. I have her in a hen house all by herself where she has been for 24 hours. It doesn't seem to be affecting the others, as of yet I did purchase some Tetracycline and started to give it too all the birds today. I figured it wouldnt hurt, and we are going to toss the eggs for now.

Here is the thing last fall or maybe early spring one of my banties was the same way. I tried to clean out her eyes with saline and I purchased a tube of antibiotic eye ointment from a local vet. She still didn't make it. If this is something that is going to take her I would rather she not suffer until then. If she is going to make it, how long will this take approximately. Like I said I don't want her to just starve to death.

What should I do? It was bubbly yesterday so I thought it may be a cold. The weather here has been crazy cold, warm rainy and so on. It has gone from the upper 60's to 45 projected this week.

When we had chickens about 10 years ago we never had any problems at all. can someone tell me what this is?

Thanks so much!

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
  3. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    You might want to do a search under this same category for past post that may give may answers. Someone had posted a tread on Avian or Poultry disease/illness that helps weed out things by symptoms then diagnostic. Just put in key words under the search. Hope you get some answers/help. Best wishes.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Many of the symptoms of the various poultry respiratory diseases mimick each other closely and it's not unusual to have more then one thing going on at once. The only way to get an exact diagnosis is to have a bird tested, either have labs/cultures done on a live, sick bird or have a dead bird necropsied. Some state labs will do it for free. That way you will know exactly what you are dealing with in your flock and how best to treat or manage it.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have been given some good advice and I would like to say that all of your chickens are carriers at this point of some respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (CRD) or coryza. Coryza usually has a bad smell. You can cull birds, or you can treat with antibiotics and have a closed flock until all of your birds die off. Tylan Soluble Powder is also a good antibiotic. If you suspect coryza, then Di-Methos (sulfadimethoxine) would be better. You can order those from Jefferspet.com if they are not in your feed store. When you get time you might want to read about those diseases here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    I also believe this chicken has a respiratory issue.. If your bantam had it in the past then your flock is infectious.. When you bring new chickens in your flock they will be infected because your flock carries the respiratory disease .. So if you bring more chickens in your flock, be ready to treat with antibiotics.

7. Farmerette6

Farmerette6 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    SO with just 24 hours of antibotics in her she is much better her eyes are almost clear. She has a bit of discharge in one eye however, I still have her quarantined and will keep her that way for at least a few more days.

I did go and read up on some of the info that others have posted and let me tell you WHEW It is exhausting reading and worrying about all this. My heart broke when my last little girl was so sick and I couldn't help her. I may have panicked with this one, not sure yet. I think that in talking with a few other people who raise chickens for 4-h and the like I waited too long before I treated her, sadly she suffered.

So this respiratory infection...being contagious just treating when we see it? Is there a vaccine for that? I had them vaccinated when they were born before they were shipped. Of course I had 6 already when my babies came. Does this affect their eggs? We are not eating them now and wont until a couple of weeks after the antibiotics are done. I have a son who is allergic to all antibiotics and am not willing to expose him for anything. We have spent enough time at Children's with that..

Back to the chickens. One reference said that these things were bacterial and some were weather and so forth. Has anyone had this and it just went around and around? Do I need to bleach the hen house that she is in when she is through? We also had to have them pollurium tested as we had 4-h chickens for a bit.

Thanks so much for all the help!

8. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA

I have read about this because I had a respiratory scare with my chickens(well I thought I did) So I lost sleep and felt very helpless and over whelmed.... I did not have an antibiotics on me and It was a Wednesday so I knew I could not go to the feed store till the weekend came... I know how you feel... My hen was making the worst hacking and wheezing noises... It turns out the little bugger had cracked corn or crumble stuck in her throat and kept on wheezing... She just had to work it out herself... For the egg question , I have read that you should never sell hatching eggs from respiratory diseased chickens because they carry the disease with them... So don't sell them for hatching... I am pretty sure you can still eat them... As long as it isn't a respiratory disease that a human can catch... So on the egg part I would THINK you could eat them after the period the box tells you to throw them away for... Look it up just in case.... Also, my advice always have a little chicken first aid kit... Like electrolytes , blood stopper, VetRX , Antibiotics for respiratory disease... These antibiotics should be at your feed store and mine said what is good for treating for ( which was respiratory disease). Electrolytes , blood stopper, wormer, and all that fun stuff can be found( usually) at a tractor supply store... This epidemic could also be GapeWorm... Well I hope everything goes well and I am so sorry you have to deal with this, especially as a new owner.... I know how it feels, and I wish you luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by