Sick Chicken :( Experience needed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenhelpplz, Jul 24, 2013.

1. chickenhelpplz

chickenhelpplz Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some expert chicken owners/breeders who might be able to help me!

My friend's chicken has been significantly ill for the past week and a half.

The hen is a couple months old, but has developed an issue with one of her legs! Her one leg is oozing pus at the hock and her leg in general is wet. She is unable to stand or walk on it, and when she tries to move, she flounders around until she is just lying on her side. It also appears that she can't tuck her leg underneath her wing. The area around her wing is also very sore and the fluff that was there is now bare skin. She still has an appetite and drinks plenty of water. It leg doesn't look like scaly leg to me.

My friend discovered this issue when the other chickens started attacking her when she was starting to come down with this ailment. The sick chicken is at the bottom of the pecking order and is relatively smaller that everyone else in her coop.

I would really appreciate help and I will try to post a picture tomorrow! Thanks so much!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    I agree with Redsoxs, welcome to the site though! Hope everything turns out alright

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A week and a half is a long time for a chicken to be ill with no medication/treatment. I am surprised she has lived this long. She probably has an infection from her injuries and is getting worse . I imagine your friend will not get veterinary assistance. I hope posting on the emergencies section will bring suggestions for what antibiotic she should have and where to get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: