Sick Chicken :( Experience needed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenhelpplz, Jul 24, 2013.

1. chickenhelpplz

chickenhelpplz New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for some expert chicken owners/breeders who might be able to help me!

My friend's chicken has been significantly ill for the past week and a half.

The hen is a couple months old, but has developed an issue with one of her legs! Her one leg is oozing pus at the hock and her leg in general is wet. She is unable to stand or walk on it, and when she tries to move, she flounders around until she is just lying on her side. It also appears that she can't tuck her leg underneath her wing. The area around her wing is also very sore and the fluff that was there is now bare skin. She still has an appetite and drinks plenty of water. It leg doesn't look like scaly leg to me.

My friend discovered this issue when the other chickens started attacking her when she was starting to come down with this ailment. The sick chicken is at the bottom of the pecking order and is relatively smaller that everyone else in her coop.

I would really appreciate help and I will try to post a picture tomorrow! Thanks so much!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This sounds like a pretty complicated problem. Chickens can sense when one is weak or sick, and they will then peck and attack the chicken. This probably needs to be taken care of by a vet really. She definitely needs a broad spectrum antibiotic for the infection, as well as cleaning the wound with Hibiclens or soap and water. Of course she needs to be isolated so she doesn't get hurt any further. The problem is going to be finding out what she had wrong to start with--an injury, a deformity, an illness such as Mareks disease, or an infection.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  3. chickenhelpplz

chickenhelpplz New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Thank you so much! Yes, she is in an isolated cage we have for her. We dressed her leg but since then it has become progressively worse. But thanks again!

4. chickenhelpplz

chickenhelpplz New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Thank you so much! Yes, she is in an isolated cage we have for her. We dressed her leg but since then it has become progressively worse. But thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by