1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken...First time chicken mom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ch1ckenmama, Dec 7, 2016.

1. ch1ckenmama

ch1ckenmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    Yesterday it rain and was cold. My husband went to close up the coop last night and came to get me. One of my girls was labored breathing and wheezy. She was damp as well. We brought her inside. These are our first chickens and never experienced a sickness yet. First thing I thought to do was clean her up. I gave her a warm lavender bath which she seemed to enjoy. Very carefully I blow dried her and gave cuddles. We used the kitty cat cage and lined it. Offered her warm food and water. She wanted it but didnt seem like she could eat due to breathing. In our bathrooms we have the red heat lamps so I had that on and put a little heater in the room. I difused some essential oils that we reccomended by a vet that uses them. By bed time, she was breathing with her mouth closed. Still wheezy. But she was eating and drinking. Seems comfortable.

Now that the feed stires are open. What can I get to help her out?

Thank you for the help!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry your girl isn't well. [​IMG]

How old is she? Is she laying yet? What are you feeding (warm)? Is your vet an avian vet?

I would be careful adding scents to the air because there respiratory systems are a lot more sensitive than ours.

I haven't had illness in my flock so I wish I could be more help. But the questions I asked will help when others view your thread.

Hoping your girl gets a speedy recovery. [​IMG]

Sometimes these go by fast, so if you don't get many responses, just bump it by posting "bump" or something like that again.

3. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    Thanks!
    She is about 8-9 months. She has been laying eggs for awhile now. They all have been very healthy.

The vet see's all animals. Cats, dogs and all farm. Even some exotics.

Thank you for the becareful because their systems are more sensitive then ours. [​IMG] I'll take all the info I can get. I hate seeing her not feel good. Im heading to the local feed store in hopes they can head menin the right direction as well.

Thank you [​IMG]

4. EggSighted4Life

Do not take advice from the feed store!

5. EggSighted4Life

They are often well meaning but misinformed with little or no animal experience. Seriously. [​IMG]

Until you get more recommendations, offer a boiled smashed egg. And you can offer electrolytes if you want. Recipe is 2 cups warm water, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda, and 2 tablespoons brown sugar mixed well served full strength. If you have it you can add Poly Vi Sol baby vitamins with NO iron.

6. EggSighted4Life

Let me call some help to your thread...

@casportpony , @ChickenCanoe , Sorry, you are two names I can remember that may be able to help. Thanks!

7. EggSighted4Life

@chickens really , @CuzChickens .... any help to offer?

8. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    @EggSighted4Life

I kinda was thinking the same about adice from them. Thanks for the heads up! I will try the electrolyte recipes you gave me! Your a big help! I appreciate it SO much!

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

First off.....Keep her warm.....Sick birds do better if warm.....If Respiratory? Which is Common.......I use OXY TERTA -A...Does not cure....Helps with symptoms.....Only provide the regular feed she eats.......Give the Meds to all the Birds.......

Do not keep eggs if using the Oxy.....It helped My Birds who have ILT Virus........Carriers, no symptoms.....

Cheers!

10. Jdrake14

Jdrake14 New Egg

Dec 7, 2016
    I am having the same problem with one of my girls it started after lots of rain and temperature dropped.. Wheezing, sneezing and lots of rattleing and labored breathing. I read on here the other day someone suggested VET RX which I purchased and its kinda like vicks vapor rub for chickens. I've been applying to beak and inside of mouth woth q tips. She is eating and moving normal but she has been sitting on my lap for extended periods of time wanting cuddles. Hopefully we can both find an answer to help our babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by