Sick chicken for a week

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicchickmama77, Mar 16, 2019 at 3:17 PM.

1. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Chirping

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    My 8 month old chicken started showing symptoms last Sunday, not moving, eating or drinking. I have her in a crate on our patio with water mixed with apple cider vinegar and food. I checked her vent and all seem normal, so not egg bound. She also has terrible diarrhea. I checked her crop and it was soft like a hackey sack, so I gave her olive oil and that got her drinking the water so that was good. Now almost 1 week later and she is still sick. Lays in the crate all day with her eyes closed. Her comb is still very red. Not sure what it could be, does anyone have any ideas?? She is so weak and can barely stand. Her head seems to be bobbing up and down too. IMG_20190316_161546.jpg

2. Grits&Eggs

Grits&Eggs Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Florida
    My Coop
    maybe electrolytes rather than acv - will she eat anything?

Eggcessive likes this.
  3. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Chirping

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    She ate some grass yesterday when I tried getting out of the crate but that's it.
    I have Pedialyte will that work?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she been laying eggs recently, or has she ever laid? When you check her crop in early morning before she has a chance to eat or drink, has it emptied, or does it feel full and hard, doughy, or puffy like a balloon?

Pedialyte is good, and if you have any vitamins B complex, crush a 1/4 of a tablet and add it to water or some food. Will she take any cooked egg or wet feed? Adding water or pedialyte to feed can get more fluids into her.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Chirping

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    All great ideas!! Thank you!! I'll do the Pedialyte and make eggs for her.

No eggs all week but yes she has laid an egg before.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Let us know how her crop feels in the morning. At this age a crop problem or something going on with her laying may be a problem. On Monday, it would be good if you could collect some fresh droppings and get your regular vet to run a fecal test for worms and coccidiosis.

Wyorp Rock and chicchickmama77 like this.
  7. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Chirping

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    Can a full crop feel like a deflated bean bag?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her crop should feel empty or flat in the morning. If it feels like there are particles of food in it, doughy, or if it is puffy like air, that is abnormal.

Wyorp Rock and chicchickmama77 like this.
  9. chicchickmama77

chicchickmama77 Chirping

May 12, 2016
    Florida
    If I find particles, what do I do. I tried olive oil and that seemed to help a little.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you tell us what the crop feel like now? Does it still feel like a bean bag?
    In your photo, she is not well at all.
    Photos of her poop?

Feel her abdomen, any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid?

Massage the crop after you give the olive oil. Make sure she has water available is at least being hydrated.
    Have you felt inside the vent to see if you feel an egg? She may have a soft shelled egg in there she is having trouble to pass.

Seeking vet care is always best and getting a fecal float is a good idea. If she's been like this for several days and you exhaust all solutions, then consider putting her out of her misery.

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: