1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chicken.. hard crop whats this!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angelpoo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    is it normal for a chicken to have a hard crop? my pullet is sick. She lost her strength and is gaping for air. but i noticed that her crop kept getting harder, and now is is totally just one hard ball. I love her to bits, and want to know whats going on. All my other chickens are healthy and i noticed that they didnt have hard crops. I love them all sooooo much and wouldnt know what to do with myself if they all got this. will my other babies get it?!!! pls reply ASAP

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    She may have an impacted crop. Is she eating/drinking/pooping?
    Try giving olive oil and massaging her crop in a circular motion. Encourage water. If she is drinking well you can add vit/min/electrolyte supplement. Offer yogurt with active culture.

1 person likes this.
  3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

From my limited experience and much reading I would think you are describing either an impacted crop or possibly sour crop (though I thought sour crop would not be as hard)

here is one thread I found after a quick search for 'impacted crop'

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/449143/impacted-crop

read through and check the links others posted on it to see if it helps you.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by