Sick chicken! HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keitorin, Dec 20, 2016.

1. keitorin

keitorin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2016
    Alabama
    I have a hen that's about 2 years old, she is molting and very scraggly, this morning i went out and she was walking around alittle, so i went to go get her and bring her inside so she could get some good food and warm up, as i went to get her she was standing in one place puffed up, so i brought her in and she doesn't mind being in a small cage inside, i went to check if she had gone potty and it's very watery and i opened the cage up so she could walk around alittle and she won't come out of the cage. she's obviously not feeling well so what can i do? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Molting is hard on them. Make sure she is eating her normal feed, molting chickens can also benefit from extra protein, so give her some egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. You can also offer her some poultry vitamins in her water.

Depending on how cold it is, it may be best to either keep her outside or if you do bring her in, make sure she doesn't get too warm, this can cause her to chill if she does go back out.

Keep watch on the watery poop. Poop can be all sorts of different textures and forms. Most likely it was watery because she had some extra TLC and ate and drank well.

I understand your concern. One of mine is going through a difficult molt at this moment. Looking at her, she obviously wants to be a little distance from the flock. She looks uncomfortable. I have watched her off and on all day to make sure she is eating/drinking, I just picked her up for a full inspection and to give her some vitamin water. She is fine, just a bit "prickly". I won't handle her again until she feathers out completely unless I see something very concerning. It's hard to see them like this, but it's a natural process.

Here's some info on molting and few things you can do to help:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/12/molting-what-is-it-and-how-to-help.html
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2011/09/tis-season-to-molt-html/
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/08/molt-muffins-for-chickens-during.html

3. keitorin

Oct 8, 2016
    Alabama
    she's seems sick, she won't eat much and doesn't want to get up. i'm afraid she won't make it

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How does her crop feel? Any sour odor to her breath?
    Any signs of swelling/bloat around/about the abdomen?
    Has she ever been wormed?

You may want to take a fecal sample to your vet for testing of parasites (worms).

Also feel her crop to make sure she doesn't have some type of crop issue going on, in addition to her molting.

5. keitorin

Oct 8, 2016
    Alabama
    thank you.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Any improvement since you brought her in?

7. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

How is she doing?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

8. keitorin

Oct 8, 2016
    Alabama
    much better, i think she was just cold, we took her back outside today and she ran right out of the cage, very happy to be back outside, she took a dust bath and is is looking a lot better, she was preening last night which is a good sign, i think she's feeling much better, thank you all for your help!

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear she is doing better[​IMG]

10. keitorin

Oct 8, 2016
    Alabama
    sadly, she passed away last night. she had Coccociliosis. we gave her medication for the parasites but she wasn't improving. we will be giving the rest of the chickens medication incase they have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by