Sick Chicken - Help Please

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
My hen has seemed off for a couple days and today she was just sitting in the same spot, poofed up, not moving much. He comb has some white flecks on it, but it's not really pale. She has somewhat of a messy bottom, though her vent seems clear. Her legs are tinted bluish, they are normally yellow/orange. Her crop is round and squishy. She's almost two. Suggestions? There are no vets and it's not looking good. I have her in a box in my bathroom with food, water, oyster shells, and grit. She's only interested in the water.

My hen has seemed off for a couple days and today she was just sitting in the same spot, poofed up, not moving much. He comb has some white flecks on it, but it's not really pale. She has somewhat of a messy bottom, though her vent seems clear. Her legs are tinted bluish, they are normally yellow/orange. Her crop is round and squishy. She's almost two. Suggestions? There are no vets and it's not looking good. I have her in a box in my bathroom with food, water, oyster shells, and grit. She's only interested in the water.
What color is the skin on her belly?

-Kathy

Get a glove, some KY Jelly and gently check the inside of her vent for an egg, masses, lumps, swelling, fluid, etc.

-Kathy

The issue she is facing is not eggbinding here. I fit was she would not have amessy bottom nor would it affect the colour of her legs. Also egg bound chickens rarely survive more than 2 days.

Don't want to scare you, but keep in mind that it's possible that the dying process has started and that's why her crop isn't emptying, I've seen a few of those.

-Kathy

Sound like sour crop where the food in the crop basically begins to go moulldy. Check her breath, and I agree with casportpony that this is unfortunately the dyiing process.

She was walking around, eating and stuff before. Just moving a bit slower and sometimes being by herself.

Her legs are actually pink tinged now that I look more closely. Her belly is pink. She'll still walk around if I mess with her.

I'm pretty sure it's not an egg situation as I hsve dealt with that before. Do I have to make her vomit if it's sour crop?

Kathy, I am prepared for that, but I thought I should give her a fighting chance. I should've followed my gut and brought her in earlier.

A crop that doesn't empty usually does so for a reason, so if you empty it without addressing the problem it will probably just fill back up. Doing exams I have been able to detect internal laying, ascites and cancer, not just stuck eggs. If you feel something odd, grab another hen and compare the two. If only your sick one has it then you'll know it's not supposed to be there. Make sense?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom