Sick chicken help! (Watching my moms chickens)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicksitter196, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Chicksitter196

Chicksitter196 Hatching

Feb 10, 2019
    Hi,

Yesterday morning I found one of my moms hens, Pox, laying facedown in the back of the coop. I thought she was dead. She must have been there for 1-2 days. I only couldn’t 5 the day before. They have a big fenced area I figured one must have been off doing other things.

I am just chicken sitting for my mom while she is out of town. I know nothing about hens.

Yesterday when I found her she was breathing’s but not moving or opening her eyes. I put her in a big box with rags and hay. I placed her in a small dark room inside with a space heater. I gave her maybe one CC of water with a syringe every hr and by night she was drinking water alone. Still, I woke her up each hr and she’d start drinking more water on her own. Pox will put her head in the water and the flip her head back and open her beak. Is that normal?

Survived the night!

I tried feeding her eggs this morning (as somone said to do that online) and she might have eaten some... it was hard to tell. I’m using an old cat food can for water (it’s the lowest to the ground I could find) and today she’s drank 2 of them.

Current symptoms:
    -still very lethargic, eyes open more now.
    -floppy
    -in and out of sleep
    -won’t walk or stand
    -head shakes sometimes
    -no new poop
    -vent covered in poop
    -stuff keeps sticking to her saliva coming out of her beak
    -one foot curled up the other relaxed out
    -seems no injury

She’s less than a year old. I’m not sure the bread, but lays blue eggs. She almost lays an egg everyday while the other hens do not. The last few weeks no hens have been laying eggs. All the other hens are fine. The temperature is dropping here from 40s to 20-30s. The hens get chicken feed, corn every night, oyster shells and crushed up egg shells when the pile runs out, and basically all the peels and uneaten produce.

Any help on how to make her more comfortable would greatly be appreciated! She seems less in pain than yesterday but still not very comfortable or better.

I’m unsure if I should give her a bath.

2. Chicksitter196

Chicksitter196 Hatching

Feb 10, 2019
    Here’s some pictures of Poxs now

Attached Files:

3. Chicksitter196

Chicksitter196 Hatching

Feb 10, 2019
    Awake. Trying to drink water and head shaking.

Attached Files:

4. Warwickchickenhill

Warwickchickenhill Chirping

Jul 30, 2017
    Hopefully someone can help you, I'd try making a homemade electrolyte mix to add to her water. Google that ,looks like you have her nicely set up

5. Kessel23

Kessel23 Free Ranging

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I am not sure what is wrong with her, hopefully someone will come who knows what is wrong with her. I would recommend moving the water away from under her head, ill animals can drown themselves pretty easily.

6. ladybugchickenfarms

ladybugchickenfarms Free Ranging

Nov 10, 2017
    I also can't offer any advice, but don't worry about her throwing her head back with beak open after putting her head into the water. That's how chickens drink. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but good luck!

7. mew317

mew317 Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    That, my friend is a Silver Duckwing I believe! I got a hen that looks like your but with some back problems.
    Very pretty little hen too by the way!

black_fleet likes this.
  8. Chicksitter196

Chicksitter196 Hatching

Feb 10, 2019
    Thanks for the tip. Something to watch for...the last picture Pox was actually just drinking water. No matter where I move the tin she ends up eventually moving towards it then falling asleep next to it. I don’t know if that’s a good thing.

9. Chicksitter196

Chicksitter196 Hatching

Feb 10, 2019
    Update: Pox made it through the second night. But doesn’t seem any better. Still not moving legs or standing, not eating, and generally looks miserable

10. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi Chicksitter196,
    Welcome to the forum, and sorry you are here under these circumstances!
    Poor Pox, she's not looking good.
    Do you know has your Mom ever had Merek's in her flock? It looks a bit like it...
    You are really looking after this little one very well. Well done to you - not having experience with chickens (or even if you did!) and coming across this is no easy undertaking.
    Does your Mom stock any poultry vitamins? Such as Nutri-drench? A few direct drops into Pox's beak would not be a bad idea.
    Is there any possibility Pox got into some spoiled food/mold??
    If you could, a close up shot of Pox's face and eyes may be helpful. Also a picture of her that curled up foot, and one of poop. (odd request I know, but it can help).
    You are doing everything you can. Is vet care a possibility?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: