sick chicken, help with diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by houserules, Oct 7, 2012.

1. houserules

houserules New Egg

Jul 29, 2012
    Last week, my 7 month old barred rock was vomiting a clear liquid. At least I think that's what was happening? A clear liquid kept coming out of her mouth. When I picked up her to see if I could determine what was going on, the discharge increased. She was lethargic and not very interested in eating or drinking.

We isolated her and the next afternoon she was back to her perky self. She seemed anxious to get out of the small enclosure (an old dog crate, which we use to isolate chickens) and seemed healthy. She was eating, drinking, and energetic. So we put her back with the others and she eagerly ran into the coop and laid the egg that she'd apparently been holding all day. (She normally lays in the morning, but I guess didn't want to lay in the crate.)

A week and a half has passed, and she hasn't laid since. We haven't seen any more of the clear liquid (vomit? water?) coming out. But she's sometimes lethargic and sometimes more energetic. She's eating and drinking, but not very enthusiastically. Like, if I throw out some scratch all of her sisters run to eat it, and she just stares at it. And then maybe eats a little. She's moving quite slowly. Her comb is looking kind of pale.

At first we thought maybe she wasn't laying because the night in the garage in the crate could have been traumatic and she needed to get used to her normal environment again? Or maybe because of the recent, sudden weather change. (Summer ended and fall began quite abruptly, and temperatures dropped about 20 degrees, right around when this happened.) But now she hasn't laid an egg since 9/26 and we're worried.

Not sure what might be wrong with her, or what to do. Ideas?

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Infectious Laryngotracheitis will cause those symptoms.

Jim

3. houserules

houserules New Egg

Jul 29, 2012
    Thanks, J-Sanders, for the tip!

I just did a little reading about Infectious Laryngotracheitis and it sounds like it's a respiratory condition? There's not coughing, or any other respiratory sx. But I'll admit, I know very little about this and you could very well be right. I'd love to hear more about how you came up with that potential diagnosis, so I can look into it further myself.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Infectious Laryngotracheitis is very contageous to other birds and the telltale sign of ILT is blood splattered all over the place through oral expulsion.
    I recommend that the BR be inspected for lice/mites and be wormed with either valbazen cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. One half ml/cc of either product given orally undiluted, then repeat worming again in 10 days. I also recommend that the other birds are wormed as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. J-Sanders

Jul 28, 2012

Reduce your symptoms down to a list.

1. Loss of egg production
    2. Pale comb
    3. Vomiting clear liquid
    4. Lethargic

Then start a process of elimination of possible causes. Even though your hen did not present respiratory symptoms such as bloody exudates I could more clearly reject other causes so it came down to ILT as a large degree of causality.

Now that said this is the artistic part of the medical arts. And you being closer and more able to observe symptoms of the affected hen it would be easier and more complete for you to go through the process.

I would agree with Dawg53 that if she hasn't been wormed recently that it should be done and will possibly clear up your issue.

Jim

6. houserules

houserules New Egg

Jul 29, 2012
    Thanks! I did some more reading about worms, and seems to match her symptoms quite well. I'll buy some wormer tomorrow and give it to them all.

I read that we should throw away eggs laid right after the wormer is given? For how many days should I do that?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Toss eggs for 14 days after last worming.

8. houserules

houserules New Egg

Jul 29, 2012
    Okay, I'll do that. And you recommend giving the wormer to the entire flock, even if only one is showing symptoms? I hate to waste that many eggs, but will gladly do it if it's necessary.

9. J-Sanders

Jul 28, 2012
    Yes, otherwise you risk re-contamination. It is a large number of eggs to lose, which is why worming is done annually during the molt. This way unless you have super layers like Leghorns you lose less eggs.

Jim

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Worm eggs are all over the ground and the other hens ingest them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by