Sick Chicken-HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hardy Hen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I have a sick chicken and I don't know what to do. She is a Buff Braham and she's 1 year old. I've noticed that she is having trouble balancing herself when she is climbing the steps to her nest and she can't fly up to the nests which are about 3 1/2 feet off the ground. She is also having trouble getting into the coop because she has to jump about 1/2 a foot to get in. Whenever she tries to jump or fly onto something she falls back. I have been noticing that she is eating less and not drinking a lot. Her poops aren't solid, they're pure liquid. She puffs up her feathers a lot now and doesn't seem as active. I haven't seperated her from the other chickens and they are not acting sick. The other chickens aren't avoiding her, but it's not like they're paying extra close attention to her. I noticed she was acting this way last Friday, Oct. 24. I put all of the chickens on Oxyteracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder (an antibiotic for specific diseases in poultry) on Oct. 25. PLEASE HELP!!!

She could be laying internally and losing weight so she's very weak. I would NOT have them on antibiotics for something you have no idea what it is. And those wont help an internal or eggbound layer. Is she very thin? If so, that's probably why she's weak. Have you wormed them at all? That could also be an issue, especially if she has tapeworms.
I lost three hens and am about to lose another one to internal laying. They lose an alarming amt of weight, become very weak, have liquid poop, etc. Has she been laying?

Last edited:
No she has not been laying and no I haven't wormed them...ever. None of the other chickens have been laying either but that happens every year right about at this time because it is getting darker earlier and earlier. I will take them off the antibiotice tomorrow. I have not noticed her lose a significant amount of weight either. Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas about what's going on?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom