Sick chicken help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrawls1981, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jrawls1981

jrawls1981 Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi,

Hoping for some insight here. I have buckeyes, my flock started with 11 birds, im down to 9. The first lost was a predator attack. After fixing the weak spot in the coop I lost one overnight to unknown causes. There were no wounds on the hen and it was a few weeks after the predator attack. All of the other hens are doing fine except for one. The reason im mentioning this is because the other 8 birds are strong and energetic. They love to roam around the yard and run and jump and free range.

The smallest hen has always had issues. A couple of weeks ago I noticed she was not making it up the ramp and was being forced to sleep outside of the coop by the other birds. I seperated her immediately and watched her for four or five days, she seemed to regain strength so I went to reintroduce her back into the flock and they attacked her. I seperated her again and have kept her quarantined from the rest of the birds but im concerned about her symptoms and with this being my first chicken flock im definitely in over my head. She doesnt seem to really be gaining strength although she is gaining weight.

Symptoms.

Diarrhea (gunky butt) - Ive given her epsom salt baths to break up the crap and keep her clean but this persists
    weakness
    inability to stand at times, very uncoordinated
    stunted in size- she is about half of most of my other birds in weight. She has always been the smallest.

More than the symptoms

she has always been very odd. She would stand off by her own often. Typically near the food and water which the larger chickens would shove her off of. Mostly shes content to stand in one place for hours. When I first quarantined her I put her in a hamper and she wont leave it. She wont jump out of it. She really has no interest in more than eating drinking and standing there. And her health is not getting better.

Do I need to put this chicken down? what should I do?

Thanks

Jake

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Here is my advice hopefully it will help
    Do not put her back with the flock . In case she has a disease
    Keep her in quarantine for for the next few days. To make sure you don't notice anything else or see a difference
    Don't let her over eat. So she won't get sick
    See if you can get her to walk
    I will check in often l really hope this was helpful

-Bobi

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Its sounds like it could be a neurological problem, among others. Personally, I would end her suffering, but hopefully the ER experts will be along later and offer some more positive advice.

4. jrawls1981

jrawls1981 Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks! I appreciate the responses, I absolutely plan on keeping her separated. I forgot to mention another couple of things.

1. She was vaccinated for mareks, her and all the rest of the flock. They are from cackle hatchery in MO

2. She has never layed a egg. All of the other hens have great egg production but not this little girl. Notta.

Thanks guys just looking to make sure I do whats right by this poor little bird.

Jake

5. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Funny my mom is a doctor l just asked her about this she told me that you should try therapy and if you have Prednisone or Ibuprofen that you could try that but not to much. But if it does not start to get better within a week that you should probably put her down

6. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Well the egg production might be genetic

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Sorry to hear your hen's not feeling well. BBCHICKS123 is right, best to keep her separated in the event she does have a disease and to watch for other symptoms. Hopefully someone here will be able to help, maybe diagnose the issue she is having.

I had a 3wk old chick that suddenly couldn't walk (Dec 19), thanks to all of BYC members, they got it narrowed down with my description of symptoms and pictures. It was thought to be Vitamin B deficiency or neurological and the thought of culling it was thought of. After 2wks of treatment with PolyVisol < iron vitamins, Jan 8th we were shocked/surprised to see him walking! His gait is off but walking and "recovered".

You may want to try giving her some yogurt and vitamins/electrolytes. Keeping her in a plastic bin would help with retaining heat for her, you could put a heating pad to help too. Don't give up just yet, being that she's the "runt" it could be as CTKen says, neurological :(

What is her age? Can you have her poop checked for worms?

8. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I totally forgot vitamins you can get just little eye droppers and give her vitamins

9. BBCHICKS123

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    Yogurt is a great idea

10. jrawls1981

jrawls1981 Just Hatched

Jan 2, 2017
    She is still not a full year. I received the flock as chicks last april. Thanks for the input, im doing what I can and would hate to put her down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by