sick chicken help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xineschix, Jul 19, 2011.

1. xineschix

xineschix New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    I have a chicken that appears sick this morning. This is a 2 yr old leghorn. I have four leghorns and she appears to be third in the pecking order. I also have 10 barred rocks, four easter eggers, and six two month old babies that are offspring of the leghorns, which are kept in a separate coop as I hatched them in an incubator. We live in tucson arizona and it has been in the 90 to 112 range lately. I have several pans of fresh water, fans, and plenty of shade. They are let out everyday into a large backyard area. I am feeding them layena crumbles, red wheat, scratch feed, and a variety of vegetable scraps including cob corn everyday. They also catch and eat mice on a regular basis. NO chemicals are ever used on anything near their area. This chicken appeared listless this morning. She is standing up and drinking water, her comb is limp, bright red at the base but turning purple/black at the tips. She did not fly out of the coop area like the others this morning. Usually, they get loud until I come out and open the coop and they all rush the door to get out. I watched her for awhile as she stayed in the coop. She has green liquid stools. The only thing I have done differently in the past few days is change the coop bedding to bermuda hay because I read that mites breed inside the hollow part of straw. I have not seen any mites but was being preventative. We live in a suburb, not out in the country or rural areas. Valley fever is prevalent here, one of my dogs has it, but this chicken is not exhibiting any signs of respiratory problems and her lung sounds are fine. We did take in a young chicken from someone who didnt want her anymore several weeks ago. That chicken was raised as a housepet and was allowed to sleep with its owner, eat from her bowls, etc (ick). But we got rid of it after 2 weeks because it had no real chicken skills and would get beat up when we tried to introduce her. The others appear to be fine. I am getting three to four eggs a day as only the leghorns are laying so not sure about being egg bound. Can anyone suggest anything. I wont go to a vet for one sick chicken but if you think its viral and might affect the flock then I would be willing to spend some money and administer antibacterials or abx. Thanks in advance for any insights. Christine

2. xineschix

xineschix New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    So I called the chicken lady in my area and she said to use teramycin as it might be a bug from wild birds. I gave her a tepid bath, checked her hoo ha for eggs, and felt the crop area, it was kinda squishy but fluid. Im isolating her in the house in a cool place. Any other suggestions?

3. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    How did this hen react to the meds?

4. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    could it be mold that has come in on your hay? if it was put up a bit wet that could be a problem....have had that problem here....have done away with using hay completly....will use pine chips over straw or hay anyday...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by