sick chicken help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pamchicken, Aug 19, 2013.

1. pamchicken

pamchicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    kansas
    I have been having chickens dying. First they look fine then I will let them out one morning and a chicken will not be able to stand or balance on their feet. I love my pet chickens but no vet in our area for help. I bought vitamin supplement to add to water but still have problems any suggestions.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. chikinluvr12

chikinluvr12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    How old are these chickens. How many do u have. Are they all cooped together

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes , an age would be good to know, and their history (where they came from, when, did they come all at once?) Coccidiosis is a possible cause since chickens coming from one area to another may be exposed to a cocci strain they are not immune to. Corid liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days would be the treatment I would use. Then I would inspect them for lice and mites, look at their vents for redness or infection, feel their crops, and look at their eyes and faces thoroughly. Look at their poops, too.

5. pamchicken

pamchicken New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    kansas
    I hatched her myself about 6 mos ago. I have bought other hens from local swap meet. I suspect one may have been sick as I never had any issues before this. Today I noticed runny stools dark brown with alittle white. No appearance of worms. Do you still recommend corks and should I put in healthy chickens water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by