Sick chicken help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Egglayer1234, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Egglayer1234

Egglayer1234 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi so I no just about nothing about chickens. So a couple months ago we were on vacation and two of them our chickens died while we were gone we didn't thing anything of it and just ignored it :( so today I noticed one of out chickens is acting weird and she isn't running away from us like all of out other girls do. So I checked her out and it doesn't seem like she has an egg stuck and her food thingy is full. So I brought her inside and I have figured out symptoms but I have no clue what's wrong with her so anyways here's her symptoms I really need help figuring out what's wrong

Symptoms
    Crackly breathing
    Opening and closing of the beak
    Scabs on her comb
    Weak legs
    Closes her eyes a lot

2. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I'm so so sorry to hear about your chicken [​IMG]

3. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi sounds like she is in pain if I was you I would rush her to the vets right away, or if you cannot give her a small amount of baby aspirins, unfortunately we had a hen with crackly breath last week she died in the night :( , if you are not able to take her to the vets I would despatch her humanly soo sorry :'(

4. Egglayer1234

Mar 10, 2015
    Thank you guys I'm the minor of the house so I'm not in charge of the vet trips :( how do I give her pain meds and do they have to be aspirin?

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    what are the symptoms?

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Sorry, I missed it. I am up to speed. Is it's crop hard? Does she puke any fluid or feed when u massage crop? The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow would be of great benefit to you. If wheezing respiratory/ organ infection is likely. If treated quickly upon onset with anti-biotics it is possible to have successful treatment for treatable infections.

7. Egglayer1234

Mar 10, 2015
    No she didn't ouke when I attempted to massage is and I will look at the chicken Heath book thingy. All she didn't when I massaged it was try to peck me and then fall asleep again :(

8. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    I am very sorry to here about your girl. I'm also a minor :)

Crackly Breathing- This I have no guess
    Scabs on comb -sound like she may have been getting pecked on, meaning the other hens possibly noticed she was sick and thought she was a danger to the flock, ya know, like if they had to run from a predator or hide she'd give them away..
    Opening and Closing Beak- Gasping for breath (can be a death bed sign, but hang on there and DON'T give up until it gets to where you know,( and I mean you'll know when she's not coming back) she's almost gone, ask someone to do the deed if she won't let go)
    Weak Legs- Are her legs sticking out behind her or underneat her? Sticking out behyind her is also a death sign, if so you can sit down and watch a TV show with her in your lap or put her down... It's sooo hard! I lost 6 chicks so far and some we did have to put down :(

Anyways, I don't mean to scare you and try, try to gfind what's wrong, posting a pic of her may help.
    **hugs**[​IMG]

9. Egglayer1234

Mar 10, 2015

She lays down on her side and then fluffs up her back feathers its kinds odd

10. Egglayer1234

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi everyone so today she is doing super well she's makikg chicken noises again and coming out of her cage on her own and stretching her wings and walking around my room! I am so amazed and happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by