Sick chicken.... I don’t want to lose her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicka_deee, May 25, 2019.

1. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    I while ago I noticed on my hen that she had a very hard stomach/bottom and I posted something about it and didn’t get what I hoped for, any way, now I have her in a box in our garage because she is very sick... she doesn’t move at all, she will just stand there and not do anything with her tail drooping and her wings a little bit lower then normal.... I have no clue on what to do and I really don’t want to lose her, she is about 4 years old. She also gets bullied a lot by all the other chickens but mostly from our black chicken.

I’m sorry if I missed some info that you might need, please ask anything if you aren’t clear, I just need as much help as I can get, please.

*its a little hard to take photos because she’s in a box and not moving at all and I don’t want to disturb Her*

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

chicken heven likes this.
  2. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
  3. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    I was looking through some of my photos of her when she wasn’t sick... she looks AT LOT DIFFERENT :(:hit
    3D27BF90-AAAE-4CCE-B44B-AD64AA9690B8.png
    Her tail is not drooping and up right beautiful :(
    AE508676-6086-49E0-A9D3-129814C1F169.png
    And her comb was A LOT brighter

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  4. Virginia and James

Virginia and James Songster

Dec 20, 2017
    Western North Carolina
    I would recommend looking up treatment for egg binding, to start with.
    We lost two hens to this early in our keeping.
    Hopefully the older-and-wiser folks will see this!

:hugs Good luck, honey

trumpeting_angel and Chicka_deee like this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your sick hen. Can she move her legs or stand? It is hard to know for sure, but if her lower belly is hard, it could be cancer or masses of internally laid egg material. Some cancer in chickens can be caused by viruses, such as Mareks disease or leukosis, while some cancers are adenocarcinoma which are not viral. Does it feel solid or tight like a drum, which could be ascites? Is a vet a possibility? Can you get her to eat some cooked egg, tuna, and wet chicken feed? Does her crop empty overnight?

6. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
  7. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    She usually stands in one place for hours and then moves again to another shady place in the yard.
    It feels really solid and has a little squishy to it.
    I’ll try and feed her some cooked egg and/or tuna.
    Also, what do you mean by “does her crop empty overnight?” —sorry

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is her crop full and firm, soft, or squishy/puffy? Can you feel of it early in the morning to see if it is empty and flat. The crop normally starts out in the morning mostly empty, and will gradually fill up during the day if they are eating. If it is full in the morning, she may have a crop problem, and that can be an impacted or sour crop, or a sign of other diseases. The crop is in her right upper chest. Compare it with other hen’s crops.

upload_2019-5-25_22-58-23.jpeg

9. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    I will check in the morning if her crop is full. I also just cooked an egg and fed it to her, she ate it and seemed to love it!

micstrachan and trumpeting_angel like this.
  10. Chicka_deee

Chicka_deee Songster

Mar 4, 2019
    Humboldt, California
    How often should I feed her a cooked egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: