Sick chicken! I don't know what's wrong...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seiglinde, Nov 22, 2016.

1. seiglinde

seiglinde New Egg

Oct 13, 2015
    Hello. I don't know what's wrong with my hen Two days ago it rained and she got wet. Yesterday it was sunny but we don't think she was able to dry properly. She's an indoor hen meaning she sleeps in a little box with hay in our living room but spends her days outside.

Yesterday we couldn't find her. If that happens she usually goes up our tree and hides out for the night. Instead today in the morning we found her outside shivering with her feathers fluffed up and had liquid all over her beak. We've tried to warm her up but it's not working. She threw up water about 3 times in the past 6 hours. She's sleeping and quietly breathing. She won't eat she won't get up. Her legs seem stuff. What's wrong?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Does her crop feel squishy.Sounds like sour crop to me.

3. seiglinde

seiglinde New Egg

Oct 13, 2015
    No it's not squishy. It could be that because she didn't poop the past hours until right now. It was yellow and green. I think it was her egg...

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  5. seiglinde

seiglinde New Egg

Oct 13, 2015
    Thank you for the link. It describes her condition perfectly well. I will make an appointment with her vet asap. Hopefully she makes it through. She's usually so lively and her droppings were always solid so I didn't think anything was wrong.

Sunshine helped. She's not freezing like she was in the morning and she got up from her box and moved to the shade. She's still not eating which is worrying me. Thank you for your help!

6. seiglinde

seiglinde New Egg

Oct 13, 2015
    She just passed. Thanks for your help.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I'm so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by