Sick Chicken Ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NicH, Mar 1, 2017.

1. NicH

NicH New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    I looked through a few posts but couldn't find anything similar so I apologize if you have answered this one before. Found one of my 3 yr old red sec-linked hens in the corner of the coop pecked on. She was beat up pretty bad so I brought her in and cleaned her up. We've had some before and they usually heal up and we introduce them again. This one has been different. She can't walk well, checked legs and feet for obvious breaks or swelling, redness-nothing. Checked her for a bound up egg-nothing and has been pooping since. She will eat a few pellets when offered but doesn't want to drink;even after dipping beak. She is breathing heavy. Pushes herself up in the corner or between the dishes tight. She can struggle/hobble enough to move around the kennel but she's so off kilter. She lets both wings hang but it's cool where we're keeping her. I should say during the pecking I think they got her eye. She won't open one of them.
    Any ideas? This has been a few days.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC

Do you have vet care available?
    When was the last time she laid an egg?
    Any swelling/bloat of the abdomen?
    Is she pooping?

It's hard to know what's going on, but given her age, breed and some of the symptoms you describe she could have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors.

Try to get her hydrated - you may need to tube or syringe fluids into her. If you have a vet that can test a fecal sample for Cocci, worms and bacterial infection that would be a good idea.

3. NicH

NicH New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks, I've been here a while but mostly a lurker[​IMG]. I learn a lot from everyone's posts and the site. Anyway, yes she's having bowel movements. Her abdomen is soft, I'm not sure if it's just her being fat though. I'll work on getting her better hydrated. Thanks. Not sure when I can get in to a vet.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by