SICK CHICKEN, IM IN NEED OF IDEAS/ADVICE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KAZROB, Feb 20, 2014.

1. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    I have a sick chicken she has been unwell for a few days, although in saying this it has been longer as I had noticed she was quitter than normal a couple of weeks ago, and then I noticed that she was being outed by all and constantly the roosters easy catch! So I moved her a few days ago into a private yard on her own...I am tackling a red mite issue for the first time ever and as we have had extremely hot weather here in Australia. I thought maybe red mite? then before this I thought the heat was a bit tough on her...she constantly has a dirty vent and I have noticed that she is having trouble eating, she wants to eat as she always has her head in the bowl, but doesn't appear to be swallowing she is having trouble swallowing...I have now put her on chick starter feed as I figured this may help and be better for her, she is trying to eat it...I am at a loss as to what is wrong. She is not sneezing, coughing, she is really slow and occasionally a little unsteady and very light...we were considering putting her out of her misery, but I thought maybe I am missing something and perhaps she can be helped? Do you have any ideas? When I call chook chook, she always puts her head up...I feel sad for her, she is a beautiful lady and very loyal

I would much appreciate some advice or ideas :)

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It sounds like lice or mites have worn her down quite a bit. With every infestation there is always one bird they prefer because they are weaker. It may be too late for her right now. Check her skin, if it looks dried out it is too late if it looks normal then you still have hope.

3. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks so much, if her skin is not dry, then what can I do to help her along? My chickens have had a drench and have been dusted, the coop has been treated and we are going to repeat the process again on the weekend....its awful, we have had chickens for sometime and never an issue and I still seen the little monsters this morning and we did their coop from top to bottom 2 days ago, then coated their roosts again today...But as I said we will do the complete coop again on the weekend....How do I know a chicken has dry skin? What will it look like? sorry if this is a lame question....

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Have you also treated all the birds as well for mites? Has she been dewormed with safeguard or pancur. Check her crop, make sure its flat in the morning before eating to rule out sour crop or impacted crop. Also read up on Vent Gleet, this causes dirty vents, smells really bad. Is she having diahhrea? Whats her age?

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Very tight, tanish, doesn't look normal. Are you dusting with poultry dust or sevin 5%? They are about the only thing other then castrol oil that I have seen work on mites. Tube feeding may be your best option:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...h-my-bird-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post
    Those of us that know the thread starter call her place Fertile Acres. She has great husbandry and has helped many bring their animals back from the brink of death. She also gets very detailed on what and how to do things so it should help. I would suggest to help her with heat as well as weak chickens have a hard time regulating heat.

6. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Yes, I have treated my birds as well as their hut/coop and will repeat in the next couple of days...she has been moved. I have recently wormed my birds, before all this began...I didn't know about the crop issues, but have been reading and will try and see about this in the morning....Her age is about 15 mths old and I will read up on vent Gleet...I will see how all this goes and thanks for telling me to look up vent gleet, I don't know about this.....Thanks for the reply much appreciated, I am still learning and want to learn as much as I can :)

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  8. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    What dewormer did you use?

9. KAZROB

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Yes, I have been using a Poultry Dust in Australia it is call Pestene and is for poultry. What does Castrol oil do? As for the dewormer I also use a poultry one. It is called Big L (Skyes) and is Levamisole Hydrochloride for poultry and pigs..Do you have other ideas as far as the mites? Will I be able to get a hold on this? I have also read that Ivomectin cattle drench just 2-4 spots on the back of the neck helps with mites on birds and also is a wormer......I am so confused I have been reading and reading. I clean their coop out every day, refresh and remove poop etc. Then monthly clean out nesting boxes etc etc....

10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    So I looked up the dewormer you use, it looks like it doesn't get all types of worms. If you can safeguard, it would be better. I will post a link with more info on it. The other questions i am not sure on. Let me see what else I can find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by