Sick Chicken Issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urbanchickeneer, Feb 10, 2017.

1. urbanchickeneer

urbanchickeneer New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    Central Florida
    Greetings,

I have a Rhode Island Red that has had a full crop "I mean FULL" . So I watched a few videos and found ond that showed how to make the hen regurgitate the crops contents and did so.

Well when I was done all was fine for a few weeks, I let them out to free range and noticed the same bird with a full crop again. So I sat down and watched her for about 10 mins. I noticed when she bent down to eat & water flowed out of her beak, so I caught her and held her upside down again and out came all the water.

when I put her back down she immediately went over the waterer and drank till she was full again. then I noticed she was having watery diarrhea. I picked her up again and emptied her out, well she started scratching and eating like the other birds after that.

Few weeks pass and while their out free ranging, I noticed her crop was dragging on the ground and she could barely walk..
    So I again empty her out and she heads for the waterer again. So I think some things up, so I put them up and come out and check the next morning and she still has the full crop and now its hanging very low (past the base of her breast bone).

Well yesterday I let them out to free range and the other girls are out scratching and eating bugs and the RIR is standing alone away from the others.. So I'm like hmm she must be sick... next thing one of the other hens runs across the back yard and starts pecking at the RIR, then the rest run up and start pecking as well so I run out and shooed them all away, now shes in a dog kennel and still drinks water till shes full. She looks like she may have pendulous crop ......

Diarrhea is clear, ting of yellow, and some green pastiness on feathers around the vent.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Might be a lot of things---does her weight feel good? When is the last time you wormed them for tape worms?

3. urbanchickeneer

urbanchickeneer New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    Central Florida
    wormed them in October, shes 2 yrs old & prolly weighs3-4 pounds not real heavy..
    From what Ive read online her crop isn't shrinking over night & its supposed to I believe..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by