Sick Chicken. Laying down, won't eat. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katiebmw, Oct 23, 2013.

1. katiebmw

katiebmw New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    Hi everyone. I'm hoping you can offer some advice.

Today, a few hours after I let the chickens out to play, I noticed that our 24 week old Wyandotte was just laying in the middle of our backyard. She wouldn't move very much. Usually she doesn't let me pet her and runs from me. Today she would let me touch her.

I gave her a bowl of fresh water and she drank from that a few times and went back to sleeping in the yard. I decided to isolate her. I set up a large dog cage in the garage and isolated her from the other chickens. She has just been sleeping in the cage and not moving.

I don't hear any breathing problems, no coughing, no sneezing. I did see her standing a few times and not moving kind of like she was constipated. I'm not sure what to do. She is about 24 weeks old and hasn't started laying yet, I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or not.

I gave her some water and food. I haven't seen her eat today. Help please! Poor thing is just sleeping away, I've never seen her like this. Our other chickens (3 others) are very healthy and happy.

Thanks,
    Katie

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    It will easier to work out what is going on if you check her over thoroughly. Is her crop hard or soft? Is her bottom hard or soft? Any diarrhea? Mucus? Running eyes? Leg injury? Wing injury?

3. katiebmw

katiebmw New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    I just examied her.

Yes, she did have diarrhea when I went back out. (White thin looked like a partially cooked egg white) But no, did not appear to be a broken egg. No sign of any yolk and not that much diarrhea. Looked like a tablespoon or two.

No mucus, no water eyes. Wings/legs are fine. Soft crop, soft bottom. No mites/fleas.

She is getting weaker, would barely open her eyes.

Should I go to the store and buy her some electrolytes or something? I think the feed stores are closed now. What would she eat to make her feel better?

4. katiebmw

katiebmw New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    I forgot to say thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

5. katiebmw

katiebmw New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    Can I just got to the store an by any type of electrolytes to give her? The feed stores are closed now.

6. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    You can find electrolytes in pharmacies and in some grocery shops. I would get an unflavoured one and give her a child's portion. Be careful though because she hasn't exactly lost a lot of moisture.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would take a rubber glove and insert a finger into the vent to check for an egg. She could possible be egg bound. If you suspect eggbinding, you can soak her in a warm tub bathe for 30 minutes then wrap her in a towel. Also a dose of calcium would help--a crushed Tums or 1/2 calcium tablet, or crushed eggshells fed in yogurt or raw egg. Here is a recipe for homemade electrolytes and a link for egg binding: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  8. Sarah Nichols

Sarah Nichols New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    I am having the same issue I have lost 3 already and now another is acting sick just like the others! No matter what I do they die and its not just hens 2 of the 3 were roosters and they aren't getting sick together it all started in August and a month later another and my last 2 weeks ago. Please help me!!!

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    More information is needed. You need to describe symptoms, give ages, how long you have had them, what treatments you have tried, etc. You will always get more responses if you start a new thread.

10. Sarah Nichols

Sarah Nichols New Egg

Oct 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by