Sick chicken, lethargic, staying alone, watery poop

paso fino

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 12, 2012
Need help! Lost one of my speckled sussex pullets (approx. 17 wks old) this week. She was lethargic, standing with her head under her wing and had watery poop. Thought it was cocci and treated her with corrid...she died after 4 days. My chickens free range most of the day. I now have two more sussex with the same symptoms and am at a loss as to what to do..... No breathing problems or runny eyes or nose, etc. I hate to think I may lose more of them! Any help greatly appreciated!

Sorry for your loss. Most of the time it's hard to tell what can be wrong since many illnesses have similiar signs. I recently lost two girls to EYP and thought a third might have it... turns out she has pneumonia. She is going to be fine, but she never once displayed any breathing problems. I am being more careful as to where they can free-range now since that could have contributed to her illness. You might want to check their foraging spots for any hazzards and if possible, find an avian vet and take one of your sick girls in for a check-up. Good luck!

If they were mine and I had given the proper dose of Corid for 5-7 days I would de-worm with Safeguard liquid or paste. Lately I've been treating for five days at 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy

Took a fecal sample to the vet and brought my roo in to see her....coccidia showed up well in the sample! She increased the amount of corid to 2 tsp. per gal. of water for the next 3 days and then 1/2 tsp per gal of water for the next 1-2 wks. If no improvement by Monday she will give him a sulfa drug. Hopefully, he will be fine. Will be relieved to see them healthy again!

Took a fecal sample to the vet and brought my roo in to see her....coccidia showed up well in the sample!  She increased the amount of corid to 2 tsp. per gal. of water for the next 3 days and then 1/2 tsp per gal of water for the next 1-2 wks.  If no improvement by Monday she will give him a sulfa drug.  Hopefully, he will be fine.  Will be relieved to see them healthy again!

Glad you were able to do that! FYI, lots of Corid dosing info in my signature.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom