Sick chicken, low energy, not eating much, green poop, little black bugs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ginnyw, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Ginnyw

Ginnyw New Egg

Mar 16, 2014
    Hey Everyone!

I was hoping you could help me! One of my chickens, Honey is sick. She is a Isa Brown. A couple of days ago we found her laying down with her eyes closed in the morning after she just got up. All four of the other chickens were roaming around acting normal. It is very cold here, in Michigan. It is going to get down to -14 degrees F tonight. So she is currently inside the house, in a box. Yesterday we started giving her Tylon 50 and this morning was the second time we gave her 0.5 ml. We also have given her some diatomaceous earth with meal worms which seems to be the only thing she is eating, and even that in small quantities. This morning we noticed green poop, and tiny little black bugs on her beak about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Could she have worms? If you have any ideas or suggestions we would greatly appreciate them! Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ginnyw

Ginnyw New Egg

Mar 16, 2014
    We have identified the black bugs as Mites. Can having mites make a chicken not eat, have low energy, and have green poop? Or is something else causing those symptoms?

3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    You have to get the mites under control. If they are crawling on her beak she has a large infestation, which could possibly make her sick. I use food grade DE and dust the chicken all over except her head, in a plastic tub. Wear a dust mask, you do not want to breathe the DE. I have previously used chemical treatment for the mites, but the mites build resistance to chemicals. I would rather use something not as dusty, but this is the best way I have success in keeping the mite population under control. I would check your other hens also, they may all need to be dusted. Hope this helps.

4. Ginnyw

Ginnyw New Egg

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion! We used the DE on the sick chicken and the others 3 days ago. But our sick chicken is getting worse. Today was supposed to be the 5th and last day we gave her Tylon 50 but we turned on the light and she still was a sleep. We decided to let he wake up but now it is the middle of the afternoon and she still is sleeping and barely responds when we pet her. I don't know what to do. This happened to one of our other chickens last winter and she died. I don't know if she has worms or if it is something else. Please help!!!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Mite can kill them. Get yourself some poultry dust or 5% Sevin powder and dust her with that. DE will_NOT_work! You should also put her in a warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal.

-Kathy

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by