Sick Chicken... Maybe

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by speak1074, Jan 1, 2017.

1. speak1074

speak1074 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2016
    Fort Collins, CO
    For the last couple of days my 5 month old chicken hasn't left the coop more than a couple of times. She just sits on her roost all day. Large green, watery poop with whitish center, but she may have been eating the beets I put out for them all. She seems fine otherwise, curious and alert (she noticed my new glittery acrylics). She doesn't mind me touching her. Crop is normal. Seriously doubt she would have worms (has none of the symptoms associated with worms). What else could be up?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! My first thought was that your hen may have coccidiosis. Here's a helpful thread explaining the treatment for it:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing
    I'll sum up the post as it might be a bit confusing. :) In order to treat coccidiosis you need to buy Corid, found at farm stores like TSC. If you get the powder form of Corid you need to put 3/4 a teaspoon of the powder into every gallon of water available to your chickens. If you buy the liquid form of Corid you need to put 1 teaspoon of the liquid into every gallon of water available to your chickens. Continue doing this for 3-5 days. Hope this helps! :)

3. speak1074

Nov 16, 2016
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hello and thank you!

Where do I buy Corid? Do I have to get it online? Seems like the wait would result in a dead chicken. :(

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

You're welcome!

It is readily available at farm stores like TSC and Family Farm and Home. It will most likely be in the cattle aisle, as it was originally intended for cattle, but then dosages were evolved for chickens. :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hope your chicken is back up to snuff soon! Best wishes! [​IMG]

6. speak1074

Nov 16, 2016
    Fort Collins, CO
    Thank you! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can also post on the "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures thread." But if you 'go offline', there is no way for them to reach you.

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope your girl will be fine soon!

1 person likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under speak1074 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry that your girl is feeling under the weather and hope that she makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by