sick chicken-mucousy poop

gibsterl

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 3, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi everyone-
I have an ill bard rock ~ 2yrs old. 1 week ago she was pretty droopy and lethargic and I separated her from the flock. I gave her some vitamins and wormed her with safeguard. She is definitely perkier after a week but is not eating very much. Over the last week she would eat some scratch and a little bit of feed, some fruit craps. She still has mucousy mostly clear diarrhea. Today she seems interested in the grass her pen is over and she is actually eating some dried mealworms for the first time. So even though she is looking better when can I expect her mucousy stools resolve or improve. Any other thoughts?

Do you have any pictures of her? How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, puffy, or doughy? Is her tail up or down, and has she been laying eggs? Scrambled egg bits, wet chicken feed, tuna or canned cat food are foods in moderation that might tempt her to eat. Probiotics, plain greek yogurt, or buttermilk could help her diarrhea. Has she been wormed recently?

Do you have any pictures of her? How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, puffy, or doughy? Is her tail up or down, and has she been laying eggs? Scrambled egg bits, wet chicken feed, tuna or canned cat food are foods in moderation that might tempt her to eat. Probiotics, plain greek yogurt, or buttermilk could help her diarrhea. Has she been wormed recently?
don't have pics right now-crop is empty-not doughy or hard or puffy, no egg laying, tail up now as far as I can tell-her tail feathers were pecked off by the time I discovered her her back end was not initially. She was wormed 1 week ago the day I discovered her. I'll try some yogurt-she wouldn't eat any scrambled eggs yesterday-I'll try again today

Hey gibsterl - did your chook get better? I've just had a hen with similar symptoms - wormed & given baytril (vet advice) to no effect, took me ages to realise coccidiosis doesn't always cause bloody poop, can be mucousy poop too. And they tend not to want to eat with it either. Just had coccidiosis confirmed by a fecal float test and treating with amprolium now - fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom