Sick chicken. Need help on diagnosis

Stephlorraine

Chirping
Apr 26, 2022
My little Indi girl isn’t going good. She’s had a bloated crop for a couple of days. It did go down yesterday morning and this morning it was down, now it’s bloated up again. I’ve given olive oil thinking it could be sour crop, just to help push some things out. She did this poo and now someone thinks it’s coccidiosis! Someone help so I can treat her asap! Her comb is still really red, she’s drinking lots of water but not eating much at all. She is pretty weak at the moment.

Attachments

• 3AAF9424-A92E-46D8-94D9-C525EC386645.jpeg
    3AAF9424-A92E-46D8-94D9-C525EC386645.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
I'm not too sure about the crop but that stool looks like worms to me...
I would give her B12 if you have any, it'll hopefully help her perk up. Try syringe feeding her some wet mash if you can

I'm not too sure about the crop but that stool looks like worms to me...
I would give her B12 if you have any, it'll hopefully help her perk up. Try syringe feeding her some wet mash if you can
I just wormed them after finding worms in one of the chooks poops. Someone told me it looks like coccidiosis. Now I’m so confused, because the coccidia feed on vitamins. Her crop keeps getting bigger the more she drinks. It’s blowing up like a balloon.

Worms can cause enteritis if they have been at work in the intestines long enough, and it does look like enteritis with all that intestinal shed. A sulfa antibiotic is called for.

What is your location? What is the age of this chicken? How long have you had these chickens at their present location? Are any of the other chickens acting "off"?

I would get some sulfa antibiotic from a vet which will treat for both coccidiosis and enteritis. Sulfadimethoxine, Albon, and SMZ-TMP are common ones for chickens. If you cannot get sulfa antibiotics, at least get amprollium or toltrazuril. How old are your chickens? Make sure that she is drinking plenty of fluids, especially the treated water.

She is only about a year old. I’m in Australia. She recently had worms a couple of months ago and I treated her and nursed her back. She was blocked with them. I was holding her last night and when I tipped her forward (accident not purposely) all this liquid came pouring out of her mouth and nose. It was horrifying. I haven’t got liquids in her cage because she is drinking way too much, then her crop balloons up again. I’ve been giving her a little water by syringe every so often. Now I don’t know what to treat her for because so many people are saying different things. Her poo doesn’t look like that picture anymore. It’s more brown and really smelly. Has random speckles of red but that’s it.

What did you worm with? She may have them again. Most chickens should have unlimited water. She might be drinking so much because of her crop problem. Is a vet possible?

Worms can cause enteritis if they have been at work in the intestines long enough, and it does look like enteritis with all that intestinal shed. A sulfa antibiotic is called for.

What is your location? What is the age of this chicken? How long have you had these chickens at their present location? Are any of the other chickens acting "off"?
What did you worm with? She may have them again. Most chickens should have unlimited water. She might be drinking so much because of her crop problem. Is a vet possible?
I wormed them with kilverm. Yeah she always has unlimited water until i seen that her crop was ballooning up and water came out of her nose and mouth. I could take her to the vet tomorrow, but I’m not sure if there’s any avian vets.

Back
Top Bottom