1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chicken...need help...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iriesisnfa, Aug 8, 2011.

1. iriesisnfa

iriesisnfa Out Of The Brooder

Hi there....I am new to the chicken world and need some advice. I have a hen who is about 4 months old and she has had a big lump/mass on her front upper breast area for the past 2 months it has recently got bigger and today when I went out to check on them she was hiding and looked like she was really sick. I picked her up and there was nothing to her little body, just that big lump up front. I think that she is dying, is there anything that I can do for her or does anyone know what could be wrong with her?
    Thanks so much...

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I am wondering if she has an impacted crop. There is some excellent information on here if you do a search for impacted crop.

Not to freak you out, but here is a link to impacted crop surgery (graphic), if after researching you believe that is what is going on. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21291

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Wish I could help you. Hopefully someone will pipe in. Have you an aviary vet? or someone that raises shickens in your area? They may be able ot help.. All the best to you and her.....

4. iriesisnfa

iriesisnfa Out Of The Brooder

Thanks so much folks....I looked up impacted crop and I am pretty sure that is what she has. Don't really know what to do at this point as I don't think that I could do that surgery on her myself. Not to mention that I think that operating with out some sort of pain meds is really inhumane. UGGGG!!! What to do.

5. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I read about regurgitating a hen. I did this and it deff emptied out her crop, but she did not survive much longer. It kept getting refilled. I mean at this point you may want to try it because it might just work, it might not but atleast you tried. Its not hard, you just massage the crop and kinda force it up. Mine eventually threw up and she seemed better after that, but like I said it got full again.

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Do you have an aviary vet nearby? Granted, I don't know much about chicken neurology, but, as calm as the chickens appear during surgery, perhaps it is not as painful as we might imagine? That being said, I'm not sure I could do it either. I would think my hands would be shaking too badly!

7. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    There is a new post on the forum where two ladies are going thru the same thing. Should be at the top. Sick chicks I think.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are several approaches besides surgery. I'd look through the threads on the FAQ page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by