Sick chicken..... need some input please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gigglssmls, Dec 31, 2012.

1. gigglssmls

gigglssmls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    We recently acquired a new hen to add to our coop and we named her licorice. She is a black Astrolop (sp?) and we have had her roughly 3 weeks. A few days ago I noticed her stretching her neck out to take a breath.... only breathing through her mouth. I checked in her throat looking for Gape worm or any signs of gape worm but saw nothing of the sort. Her sneezing and coughing seems to be getting worse so I keep her in a cage with food and water in the coop away from the other chickens in order to protect them since they are all cuddlers. I have treated her with garlic as well as a couple other home remedies and she has shown very little improvement. She has a LOT of energy, a good appetite, and drinks regularly.

Confused I help her again today and opened her mouth and had mu husband look down her throat with a pen light while I held her mouth open and tongue out of the way. MY husband told me he say no redness of parasite evidence but did see white spots similar to those people get when they have strep. Any ideas? Any ideas on homeopathic treatments or over the counter treatments? Any help would be appreciated since I am relatively a novice and have only been tending my beautiful chickens and geese for about 6 months now.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance. I love my birds.... I am terminally ill and they have given me purpose.... they are a type of therapy for me. I love each of them. Please help. God Bless!

Michelle

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like maybe a Respiratory Infection.

3. gigglssmls

Oct 28, 2012
    Thank you Willowbranch Farm I understand that it is most likely a respiratory problem but I need some advice. You have been an amazing help more than once when I have posted questions but usually you and MAYBE one other person replies to any of my threads..... I am frustrated. I come here because so many people know sooooo much more than me that any ideas or input is appreciated by me. Guess I am on my own with this one. Ty and Have a happy New Year. God Bless. :)

Michelle

4. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I had the same thing happen today with one of my hens except she also has some bubbles forming in the corner of one of her eyes. Everything I read said respitory infection so I went down to the feed store and got Tylan 50 and squirted one mL down her throat today. It is an antibiotic. Good luck with your bird. Maybe try the Tylan as well...

5. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    You will need to treat it. I suggest liquid Tylan 50 dosage is 1/4 cc for 5 days. Give orally.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. gigglssmls

Oct 28, 2012
    Ty I will pick up some Tylan..... I also called a vet friend of mine who told me to take a pinch of powdered Cephalexan (sp?) place it on her tongue and give her some water as well as placing a bit of garlic in her feed and water. She did not care for that routine but I I have brought her in the house in order to keep her from the other birds. She is in a cage in the laundry room where she can be warm and kept away from my dachshund and cat. I have an autoimmune disease so my husband is not thrilled with me treating a sick chicken since I am terminal and my immune system is being suppressed with chemo but I cannot leave her sick. She needs me and she needs help. Are the dosing instructions on the Tylan? Maybe I am nuts but I am on Oxygen 24/7/365 (yes I am only 43) and I take a nebulizer breathing treatment for MY breathing 6 tomes a day. I left out the heavy meds and just put a bit of albuterol in my nebulizer and blew it into her cage a bit to help open bronchial tubes.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some input. I learn more every day. I love my geese and my chickens and Roo..... I cannot imagine losing any of them. God Bless

Michelle

[​IMG][​IMG]
    My sick little Licorice :(
    Me saying thanks!

7. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    :hugs Ill be praying for you and your hen. I'm very glad to help you out. Anything else I can do just ask. Keep me posted on how she improves.
    And I don't know about the Tylan having instructions on the back.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I hope your hen is doing better gigglsslms. My girl is doing much better since the tylan and I hope the same happens for your girl. I'm sorry for what you are both going through

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by