Sick chicken, not eating or drinking

idchickenlady3

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
image.jpg
PLEASE HELP ME!!! We have a sick chicken. I am somewhat new to this. I haven’t had a sick one yet. So I’m not sure what to do.
She won’t eat or drink. She isn’t walking around, just laying there. Her comb and wattle are dark. Our weather has been cold (in the 20’s). She isn’t egg bound...we checked her. I’m not sure what to do. She’s been in the bath for about an hour and seems to really like that.

She might have an impacted crop. Signs of this are if her chest is swollen and the hen is lethargic. If it is, feel where it is swollen to see if it is either squishy or hard. If she does have an impacted crop you will need to break down the tangled contents in her crop. I give my chickens yoghurt and cinnamon and put apple cider vinegar in their water. You should also massage her crop in a circular motion gently pushing downwards. Don't feed her any seed until she is behaving normally.
It might be that she has something else though? :(

It could be frost bite since you have been experiencing really cold weather. I read somewhere that you should rub the comb with olive oil if it goes black but I'm not sure if that is for a case of frostbite. Also keep her hydrated with a dropper if she is not drinking.

She looks very sick. How old is she and how long have you had her?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
What does her poop look like?
What does her vent look like?
Check her crop as mentioned by @Millie Molly.Chooks
Check her body condition.... does her breast area feel reasonably well covered or is she skin and bone with her keel bone feeling sharp under the skin.
Is there any abnormal abdominal swelling particularly between her legs or just below her vent.
Does her breathing sound rough or laboured?

One of the first things to do with a sick bird is to keep them warm.... ideally a warming pad. When they are sick and not eating, they have no means to maintain their body temperature and their body can shut down quite quickly. One of the reasons she is enjoying the bath will be because it is warm..... I would not leave a bird to soak longer than 30 mins though so take her out and dry her off thoroughly now (a hair drier works well) and place her somewhere with a heat source.

Back
Top Bottom