Sick chicken-- others who were sick like her have died

fiddleblue

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
I have a chicken who is sick, and I am very concerned because other chickens who have acted like her and been sick in the same way have all died. She has become very quiet and inactive, standing still, not resisting being touched or picked up (in her normal state she would not readily accept being picked up by a person) and when I first picked her up today, a lot of liquid came out of her mouth, almost like she was vomiting.

I have had at least 3 other chickens act like this, and end up dead within a few days.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is there anything that can be done?

She is 1.5 years old, and the other deaths were about 8 months ago, and then one about 2 years ago, and one about 3 years ago. So no recent other deaths. I have not seen what her poop looks like. I did not recently add any new birds...all the birds she is with have been with her since she was a chick.

She is 1.5 years old, and the other deaths were about 8 months ago, and then one about 2 years ago, and one about 3 years ago. So no recent other deaths. I have not seen what her poop looks like. I did not recently add any new birds...all the birds she is with have been with her since she was a chick.
Check her crop for either an impact or sour crop(suspicious of sour crop based on your description of fluid leaking out of mouth). Is there any smell from mouth,does her crop feel squishy,does her crop ever empty? check her crop at night(should be full after eating all day)check in morning before eating(should be empty).

Has she been able to poop? Are you familiar with egg binding?

Sadly, she died over the night...last night.
She did have a bad smell around her mouth -- would that be sour crop?
I didn't see her poop --
I am not familiar with egg binding symptoms.

I'm so sorry she died. I have a hen who has very similar symptoms and have not been able to get any help. Maybe you won't mind if I hijack your thread to ask for help.

Same symptoms - fluid running out her mouth when I first picked her up. No poops. Crop won't empty, but is squishy and has no odor at all.

I've dosed her twice with olive oil, and today, the oil plus ACV. She had diarrhea half hour later.

She is drinking water, can stand, but doesn't walk very steady. Dozes most of the time.

Please, anyone! What is wrong? What can I do so she won't die?

Back
Top Bottom