Sick Chicken, Please Help With Mystery!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chez Poulet, May 17, 2011.

1. Chez Poulet

Chez Poulet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    My 3 year old golden Campine, Dora, was found standing in the outside run just standing with her eyes closed. Thought it might be the warm sun was making her drowsy, bu upon further examination, she was listless and not feeling well. I watched her drink a lot of water several times. I took her into the house and kenneled her with white towels to see what her poop would be like, is white (like a milk shake), her comb, wattles, earlobes and feet feel like they are on fire. Her crop is full, but no hard mass can be found, very jelly-like, feels like it's full of liquid. She seems to act like she has too much in her crop, like she will gack it up, but she keeps drinking. Her breathing is a bit labored, no rasping/rattling though. Nasal passage is clear, no runny eyes. No skin infections, lesions, cuts. No foul smell coming from beak. No butt pasting. Comb was bright red this morning, now is turning lighter pink. I put her on a towel bolster and she is resting more comfortably. She is my dominant hen, rarely lays eggs, does not exhibit being egg bound and not standing like a penguin. Chicken Health Handbook just offers everything, but nothing on her combination and a scary assortment of things it could be. None of the other 11 girls seem to be having any trouble. Everything is clean, they live in a palace, get to be in a grassy run for a little while every day, dirt run during the day, housed in a huge temp. controlled coop at night (yep, princesses). She and all the others get ACV in their water with Avi-Charge 2000. I have her on water with a little ACV and Immuno-Charge. Wondering if tetracycline would hurt to use until I might be able to get her to a vet? Anyway, thanks for any ideas.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    could she have an impacted/sour crop? does her crop empty in the AM? may need to check on this, if so massage her crop several times a day and limited feed intake, I believe they give them olive oil too, you can look it up in the search if you think she is impacted/sour. gook luck

3. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    Her crop did not empty last night, still puffy and full, can't smell anything sour. She ate a bit of banana, but isn't interested in eating anyway. She is still drinking. Massaging the crop.
    Thanks.

4. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    It sounds like kidney disease - I've had necropsy done on birds with similar symptoms and turned out to be visceral gout. Probably best not to give any antibiotics - plenty of fresh water and low protein food. The white droppings indicate high urates in the system and the excessive thirst is very indicative of something wrong with the kidneys. Sorry:(

5. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    Well, she died today. After taking her to a vet and doing a home necropsy on her, the crop was not sour nor full of anything, no blockage, no canker. Her crop just failed to work. I'm not a vet, but many factors could be the problem: Bad genes, neurological disorder, etc. I haven't had good luck with Campines, 3 our of 4 have died in a little over 3 years. I got them from M Mc hatchery. Wonderful birds, great temperament, but just don't know if they live long or it's just a genetic/inbreeding problem that turned out sick birds. I've raised over 30 chickens and have had good luck with other breeds. I'll miss little Dora. So, all in all, a full crop doesn't mean sour crop or crop impaction. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. iamsara

iamsara Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    [​IMG]
    oh thats so sad.. how old was she?
    at least u got to enjoy her and give her love for her life.

7. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I am so sorry [​IMG] It is a hard thing to have to go through. I am sure that you gave her the best chicken life she could have asked for. [​IMG]

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Very sorry to hear she passed. [​IMG]

Your portraits are amazing! Dora is beautifully immortalized.

9. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    Quote:She was a little over 3 years old.

Thanks everyone.

10. Chez Poulet

Jun 1, 2008
    Harstine Island, WA
    Quote:Thanks, my roo is a pro. Lucky to have his fine work at hand for pets.

[​IMG]
    Photograph Ecker Photography C. 2011, all rights reserved.

Last edited: May 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by