Sick chicken! Please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stokes254, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Stokes254

Stokes254 New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    Hi my name is Mason. This is my first time on this site so this may be in the wrong section. Anyway I have a Rhode Island Red who is about a year and a half old. Shes always been a good layer and hasnt had any problems. Today she stayed in the coop until i took her out and she wont move, her comb and waddle is flushed, her tail is down, and her mouth is open. She then pooped what almost looked like egg yoke.

Recently my other hen became broody for about a month and a half and after trying to get her out of the nesting box I just bought her a chick and she adopted it. Ever since then she has been pecking the Rhode Island Red. Maybe connected but I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated. For now I'm keeping her secluded from the other hen and chick.

[​IMG]

2. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    :welcome
    It looks like she is egg bound and the egg may have broke inside her. Soak her in warm water incase the egg isn't broken. Check to see if you can see broken egg around her vent. Also it sounds like she's being bullied so keep her secluded.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. Stokes254

Stokes254 New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. I havnt seen any egg shell but I will check. I figured it was a broken egg the minute she pooped that yellow yoke looking stuff out but would the other symptoms I mentioned go along with that?

4. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Yes they do. Broken eggs can cause a deadly infection inside of a hen from sharp egg pieces and the rest of the egg being inside her. If you have rubber gloves you can lift her tail with your hand and look to see if you can see yolk or any egg come out while pushing the bottom part if her butt down so you can see. Start her on antibiotics such as tetracycline. Has she been pooping besides the egg stuff and do you feel a egg like thing in her abdomen?

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

Sounds like she's egg bound.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  6. Stokes254

Stokes254 New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    Unfortunately I came out to chdck on her this morning and she died overnight. I tried putting her in warm water for 20min and she seemed to relax but she didnt pass the egg. Since i noticed it happen yesterday she wouldn't eat or drink and the only poop she did was egg yoke with no shell.

7. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Sorry about your hen.
    I agree with BantamFan4Life that she was egg bound.

8. Stokes254

Stokes254 New Egg

Sep 2, 2016
    I think she was too. Thanks for the help.

9. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Your welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by